People Just as Crazy as Me

Monday, October 17, 2011

Music Mania Mondays - Halloween Edition!

(Most of you know, today, I am at home....sick.... feeling completely awful... but, you know what that means don't you? An intensely thought out, Music Mania Monday!)


There are 3 Mondays until Halloween.
So, I thought I would write three Halloween related Music Mania Mondays...

The top three Halloween related music in my world!

So, in third place... *drum roll please*

Michael Jackson's - Thriller.

(Yes, this is my number three... trust me... there is better Halloween music!)


This song was released with the Thriller album in 1984, and was the 7th top 10 single from this album.
 Thriller won 3 MTV music awards, which nowadays I wouldn't count as much, but, remember when MTV actually showed REAL music? and MUSIC VIDEOS?

My favorite part of this 14 minute video, is the voice over from Vincent Price, who is in my opinion... the creepiest, most awesome actor... EVER. His voice is sexy yet eerie.
Vincent Price wherever you are in the great abyss... I love you.
(I think he would love me too!)

Wow.. that was off topic... couldn't help myself... I swear I couldn't... Hey, Autumn and Non-Stop Mom: Don't look at your screen that way... You know who I was before you clicked today's link!

Anway!
Did you know that Thriller was originally titled "Starlight"?
Michael Jackson said,"Originally, when I did my Thriller demo, I called it Starlight. Quincy said to me, 'You managed to come up with a title for the last album, see what you can do for this album.' I said, 'Oh great,' so I went back to the hotel, wrote two or three hundred titles, and came up with the title 'Midnight Man'. The next morning, I woke up, and I just said this word... Something in my head just said, this is the title. You could visualise it on the top of the Billboard charts. You could see the merchandising for this one word, how it jumped off the page as 'Thriller'."

Once released it was said that Michael had  "produced a frighteningly great single".


Overall Thriller peaked at #4 on the Billboard's top 100 chart.


This live performance of Thriller, was something Michael was supposedly not a fan of.
He did not like the way Thriller sounded live, and believed that it took away from the amazing video performance set forth by the dancers, choreographers, and himself.
(But, honestly, if it were me and I had to perform a huge 14minute video, in a montage during a concert, I can understand his apprehensions.


So.. That's Thriller.


Michael Jackson has to be one of the most popular, and iconic singers of our history.
This is not to say, that I approve, or endorse any of the rumor mill, possible truths said about him in the past years.
I really do feel that his rough childhood (we all saw the Lifetime movie), and intense schedule made a very disturbed man.
Do I think he molested children? I kind of do. There was something.... off about him... Some of the interactions seem.... shady.
But, maybe he just remained a child, despite the abusive surroundings.
Or maybe he was a pedophile.
We will never know, and I don't care to know.


I try to see things from all sides...
The only side that affects me... is his influencial, and ground breaking music.


I played the Thriller single so many times, that the tape broke.


This should be played at high volumes during the October/Halloween season.


So, please stay tuned for next Mondays Halloween Edition of Music Mania Mondays!

2 comments: