People Just as Crazy as Me

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

I don't like you.

Last night Emry told me he didn't like me.
That he wanted Klay or my dad to take care of him now........not me.

I blinked rapidly.
Calmed myself as quickly as possible so I didn't yell my head off at him.
How dare he say that!
Everything I do is for him.
I work LONG hours. Commute LONG hours.
Make him DINNER EVERY NIGHT.
Clean up after him.
Read to him and do homework with him RELIGIOUSLY.

And you don't like me?
Everyone BUT me?

That's what quickly went through my head.

But, remember, I calmed down.
I nodded said okay, and left the room.

I know it's normal.
I know I've heard it from other moms.... Sooner or later....He'll use the word HATE when speaking of his feelings for me.
Still really fucking hurt though.

This morning I kind of went through the motions, but ignored his cuteness.
He asked for me to carry him down from his bed to the floor.
"Nope. You don't like me. Remember?"
He looked at me puzzled, as if I wasn't supposed to remember he had said that.
He asked if I would snuggle with him on the couch before he attempted to eat breakfast.
"Nope. You don't like me. Remember?"
I could see him get a little frustrated, but still he said nothing and moved on.
While waiting for the Morning LatchKey Assistant, he wanted to sit on my lap in the front seat.
"Nope. You don't like me... Remember?"
This was the last straw for my kid. "I DO LIKE YOU. I LOVE YOU MAMA! I SORRY!"
He didn't cry or anything... but he was visibly upset.
As if I wasn't going to love him ever again.
Bad Parenting?
Maybe.
Funny and Payback?
CERTAINLY.
And sometimes......that's better than yelling at the top of my lungs at a 4 year old.

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes kids say things a bit beyond their scope of comprehension, so you have to allow for that and let them wrap their heads around it before you react. I'm sure something triggered his remark - like you said "no" to something he wanted - and he just retaliated verbally. I think you handled it quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FUN BEING A GREAT MOM. RIGHT? YOU DID THE RIGHT THING.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today mine told me that he wasn't "going to be my best boy anymore". And yesterday I got the dreaded, "I hate you." It will hurt my feelings is he says it to me when he is older because then he might actually mean it.

    ReplyDelete