People Just as Crazy as Me

Friday, June 22, 2012

Monologues of the Dating Divorcee Working Mother - "Summer Vacation"

Monologues of the Dating Divorcee Working Mother


(aka: The Life of a
Quasi-Single Mother)




Image Detail






(DISCLAIMER: I do not mean to offend anyone. There are different strokes for different folks, and we all have different lives, goals, aspirations. What I write about in these posts is not meant to be the "only way", "the right way", "better than you". It's just my opinion, use it where you can. Comment or Criticize too, how else do we grow as people, if we don't listen to a little criticism?)

"SUMMER VACATION"

As a working single mother these words do not exist in our vocabulary.

Summer vacation is something for the kids.

SERIOUSLY.

Am I bitter?

OH, ABSOLUTELY.

Emry is in camp, as a working mother, I have to send him to camp.

ALL DAY CAMP.

He loves it.

He is having so much fun running around, doing projects, going on trips.
It is really a vacation for him.

But me,
Day in and Day out
Here I am.
AT THIS DESK.
Looking outside.

WANTING.
WAITING.

Last year, we were able to get away for a weekend... and maybe this summer too...
But, nothing huge.
We have to save up for Christmas time...
(just a secret: We're going to Disney)


But, still...
When does the "Summer Vacation" come for the working single mom?
When does the laundry stop accumulating?
When does the dishes do themselves?
When is it JUST our JOB to Lay out in the Sun and TAN?
GOSH DARNIT!

JUST FOR A DAY!

Never.
That's right.
And we've got to be okay with that.

As I struggle to find my way back to the responsible side of things...
I hear a little voice..
It's my wisdom (I quiet it a lot)....
"YOU DO THIS SO HE CAN HAVE IT."

*nods*

I will live vicariously through my sons AWESOME summer vacation.
I will purposely keep him up late so that we can rock out until sun down.
Games, TV, Movies, Hiking, Bike Riding, WATER GUNNING...
You name it.

We're having a summer vacation..


even if it's after I get out of work!


No comments:

Post a Comment