People Just as Crazy as Me

Monday, February 25, 2013

PSYCHE! The Wonderful Websense Flub!

It seems that the internet Gods have shined upon me.. because, I have willed the websense to let me view all my favorite blogs.

Whooo! 
Dodged that bullet.

The weekend wasn't as good as it could have been.

Emry was a passenger on the Body Snatcher Train..
IE: He was a royal Pain in the Ass.

Friday night, I was so tired... My body drained of all energy... He was great... He was quiet... He kept to himself... I was really proud of him.

Saturday... Most of the day he was okay, and then BAM! Like being hit by a freight train, he was moody and bratty.... Maybe tired? Maybe boredom? Lord knows what... but, whatever happened... happened in the blink of an eye.

I have been craving Chinese Food for 3 weeks... and since I gave up Junk Food for Lent... I was very hesitant to get it this weekend. Then, I managed to rationalize... 

It's only junk food if you eat anything FRIED.

So, I got steamed dumplings (and shared most of them), General Tso's Chicken/Broccoli (I asked for less chicken and more broccoli; which bothered them... unsure why, since chicken must cost more than broccoli to buy).

Emry cannot eat anything with Soy... and you may be asking, then why order Chinese... Chinese is LOADED with Soy... 

Yes, you are correct... but Sashimi has none. 
My kid loves sashimi.. and can eat a whole PLATE of it.
His record is 16 pieces of sashimi... 

The problem came when I asked him to eat some white rice.
He's not big on rice... He doesn't like it.... at all...

But, I told him, that he needed more sustenance than just raw fish... 
"Mama, WHY?!?!"

So, I literally gave him a large spoonful of white rice... practically 1/4 a cup... NOT A LOT OF RICE.

Told him he could mix duck sauce with it... Just get it down.

He began to pick at the rice... a grain of rice here... a grain of rice there.

"Emry, you haven't eaten ANY of this rice.. come on now...."

"Yes, I did" *points to tiny hole in portion* "Right, there." 

Now, I should back track... Emry, who has been on very good behavior recently... still has been correcting me... a million times a day. Nothing I say is right.. everything I say is followed by a contradictory claim...
It really irks me... He tells me NO all the time... 

At this point, I was just done with him being such a pain about a little rice, that I stopped his fork on his plate and told him that he needed to stop correcting me. 

"But, mama, you're wrong."

**EYEBALL TWITCH**

 He pulled the fork, trying to get it out of my pressure. I held it down, and asked him to go sit on the step and think about the way he speaks to me. For a 5 year old, he really knows how to cop this very condescending tone... I don't know where he has learned it from...

He told me NO... flat out..."NO, I'm going to eat now." 

And, I really thought that the fork was going to fly into the air, with the tug of war going on at the table.
It didn't.
Thank god.
He went and he sat on the step... came back 5 minutes later... and was fine...

Welcome to SUNDAY.

Sunday, I'm unsure how it happened, but He woke up upset.
 Not sure about what... Not sure about where it came from... Wait... Maybe I do...
It didn't snow.. at all. We were supposed to get a couple inches between Friday and Sunday... 
If we got a couple of inches.. I told him we were going to go Sleigh riding.. at the park...
He really wants to take his sleigh down a hill... 
But, it didn't happen... so, there isn't enough snow to get going...
Is that where it started?
I think it was...

Well, after we said the, we couldn't go sleigh riding thing...
He threw a fit about cleaning up his lego creations, that live on his bookshelf...
The reason I made him clean them up, was that while making his bed... (it's a loft style top bunk bed)... I stepped on not one... but 6 tiny tiny legos... Which means, he isn't being careful with them... 

Rule was, he could keep his creations out, on the bookshelf.. IF and ONLY IF... the other ones were cleaned up.. 

So, he was pretty upset about that...
But, cleaned them up... 

THEN...
He wanted to watch the video I took of his new Karate form.
But, when we went to watch it.. he was too busy telling me why he couldn't do this and can't do that...
I restarted the video and he yelled at me...

Yes, I said it.. HE YELLED AT ME
"I DO NOT WANT TO WATCH IT AGAIN."

I told him not to yell at me, and that he wasn't paying attention.

"I AM PAYING ATTENTION."

Once again, he contradicted me.. and was now yelling at me loudly.

I told him to go to his room...
He threw himself backwards (we were sitting on the floor.. so it's not like he collapsed from a chair or a standing position).... and screamed "I WANT ANOTHER CHANCE"... I don't play that game. I told him no, and to go to his room.. then it happened....

He.. squirming on the floor... not tantruming.. but not getting up... Kicked me.... in the side. 

Anger filled me.
Yup... I got really really angry..
I yelled. I picked him off the floor and demanded him to his room... for the rest of the day... 
Teeth gritted, fists clenched... 
It was bad...

He went... With some tears... with some more yelling... but he went...

And, I sat back on the floor... Indian style.. and put my hands over my head... and tried to breathe.
I couldn't get calm that way... so I went to MY room... and I turned on the tv.. and I may have taken a small nap.....

I woke up calmer... more refreshed... I sent Emry down for lunch... I took a shower.... 
I told Emry to clean up his toys... and we'd talk about what the rest of the day held for him... 

From Noon until 3p he was in his room... Sitting... not doing anything....
I figured that was enough...
I called him to me, asked him why he was punished... in which he gave me the answer. 
I asked him if he knew it was wrong... and he did... He apologized... I apologized for losing my temper... 
We had dinner.. and relaxed (mostly without issue) for the rest of the day.

However, my dream of playing with Play-Doh with him for the afternoon was shot... 
I was too tired to attempt that...
Which bummed me out...
Couldn't go out to a movie... because all the Family Movie show times were over...
It really was a wasted day...

This morning.
He woke up fine.
He was happy.
He was pleasant...
and I was happy....

We all have our moments... Emry is just trying to find his boundaries and his own self...
He doesn't have many friends that call or do play dates... It just hasn't happened for him...
He doesn't have a sibling... So, he only interacts with adults... 
He must be bored... and lonely on the weekends...
I wish I knew how to make that better, but, I can't make friends call... 
I can't do anything but text the other mothers and hope for a response....

It's hard...
To find the balance...

It's even harder to discipline... 
When you know kind of where it's coming from.
It doesn't change the behavior though.

I am trying to be the best parent possible.
I am trying to teach him rules, and structure now... so that, when he is grown, he makes the best decisions... 
I am hopeful it will eventually stick.
He doesn't have to be perfect.
He doesn't have to be good all the time...
He just has to try to be his best...

And, honestly.. I have to try to be my best... 

To find the light in the dark..
To try hard to make everyday better than the last...
Remember that I have to give...
and take....
When appropriate...


Happy Monday Friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment