People Just as Crazy as Me

Thursday, July 25, 2013

So, you've made your goal... What's next?

Now that I have made my goal.. I was curious what happened next... 

You read articles about what you need to do to LOSE the weight.. but never any about how to maintain it.... So I went looking... And found, well.. a lot of mixed reviews.

That makes me scared. I felt as if I couldn't take even snid bits of information from each article.. because they were so vastly different. 

I know that I need to figure out how many calories a day I can intake without over doing it.


This was the 5 step plan:

Five Step Plan
Step 1 Once you reach target, add 250 calories a day to your existing daily calorie intake. This means if you’ve been having 1,250 calories each day, you should now have 1,500 calories a day.

Step 2 After a week, weigh yourself on your usual scales. You’ll probably have lost a little more weight. If so, add another 250 calories to last week’s daily allowance. So, if you were having 1,500 calories a day, now have 1,750 calories daily.

Step 3 After a week, weigh yourself again. If you’ve lost more weight, add an extra 250 calories to your daily intake, for example from 1,750 calories to 2,000 calories each day.

Step 4 After a week, if your weight has stabilised that’s the amount of calories you need each day to keep your new slim shape. If you’ve gained a tiny amount, drop your daily calorie intake by 100 calories, for example, from 2,000 calories to 1,900 calories daily. After a week, weigh yourself again. If your weight has stayed the same, that’s the amount of calories you need each day for weight maintenance. If your weight has gone up or down, juggle your daily calorie intake by 50 calories a day until your weight eventually stabilises.

Step 5 Weigh yourself once a week on your usual scales until you are confident that you’re maintaining your healthy weight


So after reading this.. I was confused. 
I mean, it's pretty straight forward.. but, seriously.. It just seems like I have to do guess work to figure out what works? 

Which led me to this decision: I am seeing my primary care anyway.. I am going to ask this question to her, and then see if she can refer me to a nutritionist or a dietician. 

I know I have the right building blocks to a healthy lifestyle. I know I consume the right types of things... But, now, I want to take these tools, these blocks, and I want to construct them in a way, where I don't feel like I have to juggle them EVER again.

This is important to me.

In my opinion, my humble opinion, if I feel like I am still juggling.. then that gives me the impression, that one day, a block will fall. And that I will be right back where I started. I am not about to let that happen.

Tell me:

If you have ever lost a significant amount of weight.. what were your tools to keep it off? How hard was it for you to learn this skill? 

If you ever dropped a block, how hard was it to get back on track?

Let's discuss!

4 comments:

  1. My Fitness Pal has a "maintenance" feature, it might be worth looking into.

    I've never been able to keep weight off for more than 6 months so I have no further advice or thoughts other than GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could help with this, but I am struggling badly with loosing the weight I have put on since my surgery, but I wish you all the luck in the world and hope that you find the answers you seek

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hon I really hope you are enjoying life too and not just focusing on losing weight every single day, every minute, every hour. I know because I have been there and have gone CRAZY over it. When I didn't focus on it daily I was more successful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think after a while, maintenance would get easier. You'll know your body so well, you'll have a good sense of what works and what doesn't. And if you're checking your weight regularly, you'll know to make a change before you're too far in the wrong direction.

    ReplyDelete