People Just as Crazy as Me

Monday, July 15, 2013

The Good and the Bad... but still tasty!

My son had a friend over this weekend, and the mother was going to linger around while they played. She is super nice, so I figured, I never really entertain... So... Why not have a tasty dessert?

 Only 3 ingredients, 5 steps, EASY UNLESS YOU ARE LAZY!
**Warning** These are very addictive & melt in your mouth!!

Oreo Truffles

Ingredients:
1 package of Oreo Cookies
1 block cream cheese, softened
1 pack Cooking Chocolate (Hershey's Semi sweet chocolate chips the best)

Method:
1. Place Oreo Cookies in a bag/blender and smash/blend until it is the consistency of dirt.
2. Mix the softened cream cheese into the smashed oreos.
3. Roll the mixture into balls.
4. Melt chocolate in the microwave.
5. Cover balls in chocolate then leave to set in the fridge. —

These are Awful... Awfully tasty...

But, here's the breakdown of them. (Because I am insane like that.)

Nutritional Information (per ball)

Calories: 214
Fat: 13.5 grams
Carbs: 22.7 grams
Protein: 2.7 grams

Needless to say I ate one or two more of these than I should.
We combined it with a little Raspberry Dessert Wine... 
And the kids played for the better part of the afternoon...

So, in essence, it was a Mommy date as well!

For the week, I prepared a Citrus Pork with Mixed Vegetables.

Ingredients:

(For Citrus Pork)
6 Porkchops (cut lean)
2 Cup Water
1/2 Cup Orange Juice
2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
2 Tbsp Ground Cumin
2 Tbsp Parsley Flakes
2 Tbsp Pumpkin Pie Seasoning 

(For Mixed Veggies)
2 Green Bell Peppers Diced into Chunks
1 Large Onion 
3 Purple Parsnips
1 can Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce (open can, and rough chop the peppers.. keep the sauce.)
As many cloves of garlic as you would like to mince.

Method:

1. Take dry seasonings for the pork, and mix them onto a plate evenly.
2. Pat dry the pork chops, and press both sides into the dry seasoning mixture.
3. In a large pot, combine water, OJ, and lemon juice. Bring to a low boil.
4. Place steamer tray into pot, and place the pork evenly around the steamer tray.
5. Cover pot, and allow the slow boil to continue underneath the pork for about 8-10 minutes.
6. Remove pork, and steamer tray from pot. Leave remaining liquid in pot.
7. Take all ingredients for the mixed veggies,and put them in the pot, with the remaining liquid.
8. Lower heat to medium low, vent pot lid, and simmer the veggies until all are soft, and the liquid has started to thicken... about 10-12 minutes. Give it a couple stirs to see progress.
9. While vegetables are cooking, take the cooled down pork chops and dice them into bite sized pieces.
10. When veggies are done... allow them to cool a little bit, and then toss them with the pork.
11. TA-DA! Enjoy!
  
 
This is usually more ingredients than I like to work with.. I'm a no fuss.. easy meal type of girl... But, this was actually super easy to make.. and smells INCREDIBLE. I know that steaming your meat might freak you out... But, trust me.. you are cutting the calories in half.. and reserving all the great flavor of the meat. 

Let's talk about the Nutritional Information of this dish! It makes about 12 small servings or 6 big ones. I go with a smaller serving, so that I can pair it with a larger salad... or a small amount of rice... or even stuff it into a pita!

Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Calories: 63.5
Fat: 1.6 grams
Carbs: 9.7 grams
Protein: 7.5 grams 


So as you can see.. we got the GOOD... the BAD ... BUT STILL TASTY!

It goes to show you, that regardless of how determined and focused I am about becoming Healthy, and Fit... I am not blind to the amazing flavors of an OREO cookie. 

You have to find your balance.
You have to be able to look yourself in the mirror and say:
"Today wasn't my finest healthy moment... But, I'm going to be better tomorrow."

And I did.
And you will too!

I even got Klay to take a run with me on Sunday night.
We did about 0.8 miles.. in about 8 minutes... He was proud of himself, since he really doesn't work out with me... and I was proud of us too. I really do not like to run on the pavement.. my knees just hate it.. But, I have to get over that... I have to figure out the balance.. On the weekends I do not have access to my work gym... So, I need to do little things here and there.. and a quick run to the little league field and back.. is that!

I then tricked Klay into doing situps with me... Not sure how I managed that one... 
But, we did.. and I felt great afterwards...
But, I am a little sore today.
Still went to the gym.
Still broke a decent sweat...

How was your weekend?
What does your week in food look like? 

1 comment:

  1. Ohhhh orea truffles. Someone at work makes those every so often. We hoard them!!!

    ReplyDelete