People Just as Crazy as Me

Monday, July 22, 2013

This week... in life and food

This week in FOOD:

Paleo Sweet Potato Skins with Sage Pesto and Bacon
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 8 potato skins
Ingredients
  • 4 sweet potatoes (scrubbed clean)
  • 1 tbsp Enzo Olive Oil
  • 1/2 cup Walnut Sage Pesto
  • 4 slices bacon
  • 1/4 cup arugula
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 400°.
  2. Brush olive oil on the sweet potatoes and place in the oven on a baking sheet for 45 minutes.
  3. Place the bacon on a wire rack on top of another baking sheet and into the oven for 20 minutes or until crispy.
  4. Remove the sweet potatoes and bacon from the oven.
  5. Allow the potatoes to cool for 10-15 minutes then slice in half lengthwise.
  6. Scoop out 2-3 tbsp of potato from the middle.
  7. Place a tablespoon of pesto in the center of each potato.
  8. Crumble the crispy bacon and place on top of the pesto.
  9. Top each potato skin with a few pieces of fresh arugula and serve.

Now, the only thing I did differently.. Because I'm a rockstar... is that I mixed the chopped arugula, pesto, chopped bacon, and the scooped out sweet potato.. TOGETHER.. Made it kind of a thick slop texture.. then stuffed it back into the potato.  Also: I didn't use Walnut Sage Pesto, I just went to the store and bought a jar of Classico Pesto. . . I was a little lazy.

Want the nutrition?

Per Half of Sweet Potato:

Calories: 148
Fat: 8.8 grams
Carbs: 13.8 grams
Protein: 3.3 grams

Now for our weekly Side Dish, I made Roasted Brussel Sprouts... Now don't make that face.
Super Simple to make:

Ingredients:

2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
6 cups of Brussel Sprouts
FAVORITE SPICE/SEASONING.. Enough to coat.

Instructions:

  1. Prehat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Place EVOO and Brussel sprouts in a large enough bowl to mix oil over sprout.
  3. Sprinkle your favorite Seasoning.
  4. Bake 20 minutes or until crispy.

I used  mesquite seasoning, and S&P. They came out super tasty.

Want the Nutrition?

Per 1/2 cup of Brussel Sprout Crunch-tastic-ness:

Calories: 52
Fat: 3.3 grams
Carbs: 52.6 grams
Protein: 1.9 grams


That will be our Carb filled meal for the week.. I couldn't help it.. I wanted BOTH options... Since we have so much left over arugula, I will probably be eating that on the side, or with my lunch.

Mahi-Mahi was on super sale this week.. so I got a pound of it, and broiled it in the oven with some Italian seasonings.. This will give me the great protein I will need for my workouts.

Now!

This week in LIFE:

I reached my goal of 135 lbs.

See the in shape skinny girl! Do you SEE her?!

Klay has gone off for the week. He is attending a really important training class. Unfortunately he is two hours north of us... which means he is staying in a hotel for the duration of the class. This will be really important for his job, and could really help further his career in the long run. Emry isn't thrilled about it. There is a lot of PTSD attached to men leaving for "work" or "training" and never coming back... Klay and I are assuring him on a daily basis that nothing has changed, and this is just one week, in our very long life as a family. Klay intends to call every night.. I believe he will.. I also want Emry to do a great project during the week, so he can tell Klay what he did, while they were apart. Emry loves him so.. They have this amazing bond.

For me, the distance.. is ... interesting... Even when Klay maintained the apartment we saw him most nights.. but, when he got rid of the apartment and moved into the townhouse (so we could save money before buying our new home) we've been together... every day... every night.. for about 7 months now... And in the grand scheme of things... this is the first entire week we've been apart, in the (nearly) 3 years we've been together. I think distance makes the heart grow fonder. I also think that we will gain some perspective and appreciation for each other... So when he returns.. we'll just.. well.. it will really confirm what we got going on here.

The heat wave is officially over here in NY... I didn't run the A/C at all this weekend.. and this morning. For the first time in 7 days.. I felt confident to turn off the ceiling fans in the house.

With Klay being away, and Karate camp over for Emry.. Emry is taking the car ride in with me... He goes to a camp about 25 minutes from my work. They take him on amazing trips and he really loves it there. What he doesn't love.. well.. is waking up with me and leaving as early as we do. He grabs a glass of juice in the morning.. gets dressed... and then he will eat breakfast at the camp when he gets there... It's an intense morning... I wake him up as late as I can.. so he isn't too tired... But, it means that he has to get up and get done... as quickly as possible. 

He did well this morning.
We'll see how he does tomorrow.

And now, I sit here at work...
Typing this post, and doing work on the side... 

Can't wait for the week to be over...
Gosh... is it Friday Yet?

Tell me about your weekend?
And what your week looks like this week!

Stay Safe Friends.

2 comments:

  1. I just love tater skins and those look tasty. I am currently losing weight and would like to hit the same goal you achieved. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look beautiful my fit and healthy friend! Mmm yum and I love sweet potatoes and pesto! May have to give it a whirl!

    ReplyDelete