People Just as Crazy as Me

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Monologues of the Dating Divorcee Working Mother - Homework is the devil

Monologues of the Dating Divorcee Working Mother

(aka: The Life of a
Quasi-Single Mother)



Image Detail





(DISCLAIMER: I do not mean to offend anyone. There are different strokes for different folks, and we all have different lives, goals, aspirations. What I write about in these posts is not meant to be the "only way", "the right way", "better than you". It's just my opinion, use it where you can. Comment or Criticize too, how else do we grow as people, if we don't listen to a little criticism?)


I was in bed at 6p last night. Why was I in bed so freaking early? Because HOMEWORK is the DEVIL.

Emry is in First Grade now, and that means nightly HW. The teachers have assignments written out for Monday - Thusday, that go in a notebook, and get returned to the teacher on Friday.

This is the first week we are doing it. And, I have to say, getting into the habit of doing HW... Not fun for me or for Emry.

There were specific instructions.
Each Assignment is to go on a new page.
Each new page is to have a heading - Name and Date
Each assignment is to be written neatly and clearly.

I got a bunch of "Why's" on Monday night.
And I gave a bunch of "Because that's the rules" answers.

Monday, was a whirl wind, between dinner, hw and getting out of the house for karate.
I felt this was the reason HW felt so strained.

Tuesday, there was no time restraints. We'll eat dinner first and then do our homework. If you get it done fast, we'll have time to take a walk, and go to the park up the street.

Sounds like a plan right?
Didn't quite work out.

Let's do our heading...

WHY

Because That's the Rules

He begins to write, Upper case and Lower case.. all look the same.

I'm sorry honey, try this again, The first letter in your name is CAPITALIZED and then the rest are lower case. The lower case should look small then that first letter. Then the first letter in your last name is CAPITALIZED, followed by lower case.

WHY

Because that's the way to do it. Now, write the date, completely.

Other kids are doing this. Writes out the abbreviation.

That's not what the instructions say, please write out the month completely.
He starts to write everything in Captial. Honey, like your name, the month is a proper noun (I knew I would have to explain this.) and the first letter gets CAPITALIZED.

WHY? 

Because that's the rules. **TWITCH**

What's a Pupper Now And?

HUH? Oh a Proper Noun. . . . names a person, place or thing. It will name a specific, usually one of a kind item and will have a capital letter no matter where it appears in a sentence.

WHY?

Because that's the rules. **TWITCHING MORE**

The assignment last night was to take a handful of words, sight words from kindergarten, and use most of them to write 3 sentences.
The words were:
I, my, with, see, can, like, me, (and another one I cannot recall.. damn memory...)

So, I had the bright idea.
Why don't we speak the sentences first, I will write them down on a piece of paper, and this way we won't have to keep guessing for another word. 

OKAY!

He came up with:

I like to play with my toys.
Can I see the trains?
I can play with all my friends.

Pretty good sentences! Okay, let's write them.

He starts to peer at my paper. No honey, you know these words. I'll read the sentence, and you can write it out. We can do it really slow. First one: I like to play with my toys. Let's start with "I".

Write a lower case 'i'. 
Honey, the word I, as in when you are speaking about yourself, is always capitalized.

WHY?

Because that's the rules. **TWITCHING INCREASES**

Now, I can do this all day...
But, these three sentences took 45 minutes to do.

For lack of focus.
For not remembering how to write a letter.
For spacing.

For neatness sake!

He's in first grade, and that says something.
This is the first week of hw.. that says something.
But, I am getting the feeling this is how it will be.

He is a strong willed child, who wants to do things his way.
There are some things that need to be done the proper way.
Handwriting, and penmanship is one of them.

He has a lot of my ex-husband in him.
The lack of focus, the laziness... I can see it in his face.
It's easier to do it quick, and messy. 
It's too hard to actually do it with purpose.

Now, this is not a personal thing. 
I love my son.
My ex-husband has genetic code in there...
It comes out when we do tasks. 
Tasks that have rules.

Pray that this gets easier over time.
Pray for my strength.

Did we go to the park?
No.

Why?
Because, Emry left his coat at school. 
It was cold... Can't take him out in the cold. 
Not even with a light hoodie.

And, I kind of broke then.
He would leave two to three coats in his class last year...
They never came home.
This year, we figured, one winter coat, one thick hoodie, one light hoodie. 
So, he wouldn't have the choice other than to bring it home.
That didn't happen.
So, today, for school.. he is dressed in heavy layers.. WE HAD A FROST ADVISORY FOR GODS SAKE. 

I think I may need to actually buy a winter coat before they get into the stores. 
**SIGHS**

SO, yeah, I broke,.... Because HW is the devil.

I announced to the house, that I was going into my room.
I bundled up.
I layed under the covers...
And I went to sleep.

Woke up at 9p, packed my breakfast for tomorrow, and went back to bed.

Praying for a better day today.

Hw, Dinner, and then Karate...

Jeez... Just need to keep breathing through it.

Tell me?
What are your biggest struggles with HW and your KIDS?

3 comments:

  1. If I may be so bold as to say, let him do his homework his way and the teacher answer the why's for the rules.

    He's in first grade. It doesn't have to be perfect or even neat the first week/month.

    He clearly didn't inherit your perfectionist tendencies and it might go a lot easier on both of you if you let him do it his way so long as it's done. Is he really learning how to do it if you're doing everything other than writing it for him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say let him do it his way today and see how long it takes him. The teacher will take care of the rest.

    When Nora was in elementary school, I hated it. Most of it was the parent having to be apart of it, and I don't believe that's how homework should be. Because it gets your child into habit of wanting you to do their homework for them. My daughter is one of THOSE kids. She's in 8th grade and still comes up to me,

    "Mom I don't know how to do this? Can you help?"

    "Why sure. What part do you need help with?"

    "The whole thing!" And then she will just stare at me blankly and wait for me to give her the entire answer, basically throwing a fit. "What should I write??????"

    So I always say, "I'm not going to do your homework for you, but I'll walk you through the first one."

    This usually ends with her finally giving up trying to have me do half of her homework. She's silly. But thankfully now she only asks me if it's math she doesn't understand and that's okay with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See this is one of the reasons I do not want to become a mom. It's like starting school all over again. You have such patience. Even when the twitching starts lol ;)

    ReplyDelete