People Just as Crazy as Me

Friday, October 18, 2013

Hyperglycemia.. my old friend... you bitch

I am Hyperglycemic.
What is Hyperglycemia?

It basically means that I have HIGH BLOOD GLUCOSE (or blood sugar). My body either doesn't have enough insulin and/or it can't use it properly. 

When my blood sugar is out of whack, I pass out.  How is it out of whack? It's used to being SO HIGH, that when it drops... I DROP.
Everything gets spotty, and sparkly... My limbs feel heavy.. and I pass out. 

Unless: I take a glucose tab. And that helps to spike my sugar enough to bring me back to the land of the living.

Since I have regulated my food, and I have been exercising more.. I really haven't had any symptoms.
It's been awesome. 

But, for some reason last night... my body decided (at 2 a.m.) mind you, that it was time to have an "attack"....

And, it was a sneak attack. No lie.

Normally, I wake up, and I am all sparkly and heavy... and completely aware of what I have to do.

This morning? I woke up thinking I had a fever. So, I stripped down... trying to get cool... I felt nauseous... 

Still felt awful, I leaned over to grab my water bottle... And that's when I felt it.. in the back of my head... the heavy sparkly feeling... I knew it was coming... It was just hiding in the periphery.

SO I got dressed again. 
Which needed to happen:
  • if I was going to pass out, it was not going to be naked... for someone (like my dad or emry) to find me.
  • I am not comfortable walking around naked in ANY situations.
Getting dressed, even though necessary, was a bad idea... It escalated the episode.
It was as if I couldn't get to my glucose tabs fast enough. And they were 10 feet away in the kitchen.
I got to them. And couldn't open the container.. and basically slid down to the floor, trying to get one in my mouth before black out.

I did. But, since I was so far into the episode, I had no saliva....
So...
I passed out until my emergency insulin kicked in.
And saliva was produced... allowing the glucose tab to break in my system... bringing me back.

It was scary.
I was on the floor, for about 30 minutes... Everyone was asleep... no one knew... But, the cats... The cats were right next to me when I came to.

UTTERLY SCARY.

Why because what I experienced was very mild: Ketoacidosis

Ketoacidosis is life-threatening and needs immediate treatment. Symptoms include:
  • Shortness of breath
  • Breath that smells fruity
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Very dry mouth
It's basically a diabetic coma.

The very dry mouth, the nausea... and I don't know about the other two...

But, my doctor and I are going to talk about it.

I've been dealing with Hyperglycemia since I was... oh around 11?
And... this being the first episode that I've had in a long while and by far the worst...

NOT COOL.

**SIGHS**

So that's me...
How's your Friday?

2 comments:

  1. I occasionally have something very similar happen but I'm at the other end of the spectrum and it's akin to hypoglycemia. At any given time my blood sugar is a little to considerably lower than most other peoples (I've had results as low as 62 and felt fine) and if I eat sugar without a protein then it seems my pancreas freaks the hell out and over reacts to the spike and sugar plummets. It doesn't always happen though and they can not for the life of them recreate it though in testing so they think it's a combination of stress, whoremones, exhaustion and the sugar.

    I combat this by being mindful that every pure sugar (or something that metabolizes quickly to a sugar) needs to be eaten with a protein and a complex carb. So a cupcake has to have butter cream frosting - REAL butter cream.

    It may be a sign that you're working out too much and not getting enough carbs. Make sure you're fueling with the running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice. My nutrition is regulated by a nutritionist... When I went from working out to training, I just had to make a phone call.... She told me what to add to my diet and what to take away.

      I'm going to sit down with my PCP soon, and we are going to go over what happened in the last 24 hours. From workout, to training, to eating, to work... And see if there is something that I just... didn't do, or didn't do enough of.

      It was pretty scary.

      Delete