People Just as Crazy as Me

Thursday, October 3, 2013

I am going... to run

I have been on the fence on it...
But, ever since I started accomplishing great goals on the treadmill, I have been considering doing a 5k.

Yesterday, I committed, and I am signing up for one.


It is the first time my town will be having one of these. It will be on Thanksgiving, and the course looks like this:

http://turkeytrotorange.com/trotmap.png 

 If you don't know, you probably do, but a 5k is a 3.2 mile course, and it's supposed to be a great introduction into marathon running.

I have a two blog friends who do marathons and/or 5ks, Amy, and Aunie. They are both my inspirations... Amy, is a working mother to amazing children, so she inspires me that I, as a mother, as someone who isn't a runner, can do this. Aunie, well... she's phenomenal. Her running times are extraordinary... Her positivity and dedication... well... that's how she inspires me. 

The entry fee is only  $20, as long as I get it in before the 7th of November.
You get a T-shirt, and well... I really don't need anything else.

Recently on the treadmill, I have been running... making amazing times... But, on a Level 1, 0 incline.

I know that I will have to do training outside, to get the feel of actually running on uneven terrain and all that... but, I wanted to simulate that on the treadmill.

I drove the course last night, trying to gauge inclines, and levels of difficulty... For the most part.. It's pretty flat, with very low and steady inclines... So, I guess no more than a 4 incline on the treadmill.

So, what I did, is the following:

I wanted to see if I could run @ 5mph (12 minute mile) for 30 minutes. I used the random hill interval setting on a level 2. This means that the treadmill went up and down sporadically... I did it. At the 30 minute mark there was a 5 minute cool down going from 4.5 mph to 2.0mph. 

In 35 minutes I accomplished 2.8 miles.

That is only 0.4 miles away from the 3.2 miles of this race. 

I took a break then, did some weight training, a lot of stretching... and then I went back to the treadmill.

I wanted to do a fast pace walk then.. because, let's be honest, it is very unlikely that I will be able to run a half hour, on uneven terrain... 

So, I did just that for 30 minutes, using the same treadmill setting... plus a 5 minute cool down. During that, I walked 2.2 miles.

So in one hour and 10 minutes I accomplished 5miles.

I think that's a fantastic starting point.

It shows me:
  1. I can do this.
  2. I can do a decent time for a first timer
  3. This is not impossible
  4. That I am pretty KICK ASS.

I plan on taking this to the streets (I have always wanted to say that), literally, and testing my time running around the neighborhood. I have a 2 mile course I already do, so the plan is to do that twice, and note my time.

I will do this on the weekends. It's the only time I really have to focus on that, and I have needed an excuse to move my butt more on the weekends.

3 times a week, I will do the Random Hill Interval challenge on the treadmill, finding my optimum running speed.. and adjusting the level of intensity randomly.

The race is 1 month and 25 days away. I think I have a real chance for this.

My goal:
To finish the race in under an hour.
This is a pretty big goal for someone who has NEVER done one before.
But, I am being really optimistic, and I think by setting such a high goal.. that it will motivate me more.

 And another amazing thing about it being on Thanksgiving.. is that in my mind.. it gives me a

FREE TICKET TO EAT WHATEVER I WANT ON TURKEY DAY!
(it's the little things people)

So..
What do you think?
Any Advice?

Anyone want to come cheer me on?


3 comments:

  1. You can totally do it... so proud of you! Seriously, you are amazing :) Good job Kat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job and keep up the good work, Kat. I would like to run in a marathon someday. I am working hard towards hitting my goal weight. I should be there by December.

    ReplyDelete