Well, I am back, I am at 95% health, and since I can look at food, and manage to eat it, today is the day you get to read about the awesome and healthy Casserole I made for my family this week.
INTRODUCING JERK CHICKEN AND VEGGIE CASSEROLE
- 1-2 pounds of boneless chicken breasts (cut into bite sized chunks)
- 1 medium red onion (chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 medium carrots (chopped)
- 2 celery stalks (chopped)
- 1 poblano pepper (chopped)
- 8 ounces of butternut squash (I buy it pre-chopped and seasoned at Price Chopper, I just need a little)
- 2 TBSP of Cooking Oil
- 2 TSP of Flour
- 1.5 cups of banana puree (you can take 3 ripe bananas and do it yourself, or you can get Gerber's... your choice... guess what I chose)
- A lot of Fresh Minced Garlic (I like a lot, you choose your level of comfort)
- 1 small log of herb goat cheese
I will never give away my exact mix for my jerk seasoning. But, you'd be wise to use:
- Jamaican All Spice
- Ground Chili Pepper
- Liquid Smoke...
- Smoked Paprika...
And.. well.. other stuff.. but, I am seriously going to the grave with it.
Best bet: Go to Wal*Mart, and look for a non descript, no name bottle of seasoning..
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a 9 x 13 glass baking dish.
- Take the first 8 ingredients and mix them together into the baking dish.
- Season with your Jerk Seasoning lightly... enough to evenly coat the ingredients
- Now time to make a sauce:
- Take the oil and heat it slightly in a medium size sauced pan.
- Add the flour and whisk together until you get a creamy looking thickened oil.
- Add Minced Garlic, and let it brown slightly.
- Add the banana puree and whisk together until smooth.
- Once warmed, add the log of goat cheese, and begin to whisk until the mixture is warm and smooth.
- (OPTIONAL STEP): If this is too thick for you, add 1/4 cup of water, and whisk until smooth.
- Season with the Jerk Seasoning, and add whatever your taste buds say will make you happy. I added a little more Liquid Smoke, and some Bacon/Molasses Seasoning I picked up from the store a week or so ago.
- Pour sauce evenly over dry ingredients
- Cook in oven for about 45-60 minutes uncovered. Until the top of the casserole is slightly browned and the chicken is cooked all the way through.
|This is what it will look like when you are all done|