People Just as Crazy as Me

Thursday, November 14, 2013

I will not get hurt in the next 14 days

I know I probably just jinxed myself, but the goal is NOT to get hurt (at least, injured anywhere that would hinder my running) in the next 14 days....

The RACE is in 14 days.

I know, it's pretty crazy right?

This morning, I woke up and my ankle was really sore. I am thinking I slept with my legs crossed all funny, and that it's just tight... 

But, I attempted to run... and the 23 seconds of running.... Well.. My body said NO. Let's be really honest about this: My ankle screamed "STOP PLEASE STOP PLEASE STOP DON'T DO THIS TO ME!" So, I stopped....

I did a lot of weight training today... I basically reversed my workout... more weights than cardio...

With that said, after an hour of weight training.. I was pretty stretched and warmed up... I thought... Let me try again...

15 seconds... "DIDN'T YOU HEAR ME THE FIRST TIME I DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS TODAY".

Okay, I understand, Mr. Right Ankle.... No running.

So we walked... By we...I mean ME and MY RIGHT ANKLE....

When I got back up to my office, I heated up my heating pack... which is more in the office to keep me warm... then it is for therapeutic purposes... By I guess warmth can be considered therapeutic... hmmm... I love rationalizing! 

I turned one of my waste paper baskets upside down, and rested my ankle, with the heat on it... for about 2 hours... 

It's still a little sore when I go between plantar and dorsi flexion... (read: move my ankle)
So, I figure I have to do some extra stretching of that area tonight... 

Here are some great stretches to work out that area:
 


Now, even though this is entitled: "I will not get hurt in the next 14 days"... and I'm writing about the "hurt" in my ankle... I think that by tomorrow I should be okay... If not... I'll take it slow again.

I have been training for 2 months now... And my times are amazing for a non-runner... Listening to my body is important.

People tell you to work through the pain...

As a LMT, that's not exactly true.

If the pain is just muscle soreness.. Sure, push on through...

If the pain is sharp... and does not disappear as you workout... if there is throbbing... Stop. Rest the Area. Work another Area. 

If it's super bad... See a doctor. You never want to do damage to your body.


The coolest part of this weekend, will be the pre-race training that is being provided by the local runner's club. I will actually be doing the course.. with a bunch of people... So, it will get me prepared for what is in store. ALSO, I might get some of those nervous jitters out of the way... you know, running with people... "racing" as it were.

So, send me some good energy... And let's hope this is just a one day thing.

Between the Stomach Bug I had... and Now this... It's as if there are barriers being placed in my way...

Sorry, I don't DO barriers... 

Be well people.

No comments:

Post a Comment