People Just as Crazy as Me

Monday, November 25, 2013

Running Discouragement: When sometimes a positive outlook doesn't yield a positive result....

On Sunday, I had another pre-race training session. I was super psyched for it, even though, my ankle has been acting up more... Anyway...

I was excited up until Saturday evening at around 6p... when it started to FLURRY out. . . So, I check my weather app.. and I notice that Sunday is supposed to be 28 degrees as the HIGH.. and that more than likely the Training Session was going to be in windy 20 degree'ish weather. 

I woke up on Sunday, woke up 7a, and the thermostat registered at 19 degrees. Wonderful... with the wind chill.. it felt like 8 degrees. I knew it was a bad idea, but I got my gear on, plus an extra headband to cover my ears and a light weight hiking jacket... and went out to meet the group. 

Vastly smaller group... I completely understood why... 

And we started to run, and my BODY was so angry with me. The little bit of skin exposed was blistering and turning purple. This is not an exaggeration... My skin was turning PURPLE... my hands hurt (I didn't think I needed them, my hands get super hot and sweaty when I run.. but THIS was a bad idea...)

A mile.. I made it a mile.. and I had to stop.. I was freezing, my chest hurt from the cold air.. and my ANKLE was on FIRE (ICE FIRE, I thought I was going to die, I swear).

So, I made it back to my car, and just went home... 

And I am not going to lie, I cried. 

I cried and cried and cried. 

My dad assured me all I needed was warmer running stuff, and I know he's right.. We don't have the money for that.. especially since I don't plan on running outside in the winter AT ALL... 

I was looking up and asking WHOEVER IS UP THERE.. why the mid 30 temps and low wind couldn't carry over to THE WEEK OF THE RACE... 

I looked down and my ankle, and tried to make it promise to hold out until Thursday. And asked repeatedly WHY it started to hurt WORSE than every before. My ankle never did answer. Stupid ankle.

I took a hot bath, I got dressed, wrapped up the area... and went about the rest of my schedule for the day... 

My ankle ached the whole day... so when I went home, I put it in an ice bucket.. and let the healing/freezing process take over. It feels much better today. I took it very easy while running this morning... And I do not intend on pushing my time up.. on the contrary.. today, I just tried to do it in 36 minutes... I ran slower than I have in a long time... and I know the day of.. if everything works out right, I will do that time, if now a little better.

I know this.

Now, my dad, the sweet man he is, and by sweet I mean STUBBORN AS HECK.. Is buying me running gear tonight.. Just 2 top layers (shirt/jacket and pants).. I figure I can use the stuff I have as a base layer... It seemed to hold temperatures in the 30's... so I imagine just a little more on top will seal the deal.

At the moment, TURKEY TROT DAY looks to be a high of 19 degrees and windy/snowy... I know, it sucks... but, I got to do, what I got to do...

However the day before is 51 degrees and rainy. I am hoping the weather man has it a little wrong, and some of that heat transfers over onto Thursday. Please Cross your fingers, say a prayer.. . Do something... I don't need 51 degrees.. but I'd take High 30's... I know I can do that... I just don't want to freeze.

Any runners out there have any tips? Please? 

So.. even though Sunday sucked... and I was very discouraged.. I am back up.. and pushing through...

This will happen. I will run this.. THE WHOLE WAY... and I will finish... This is IMPORTANT to me... and is a SYMBOL of ALL of my ACCOMPLISHMENTS...

I let it get the best of me Sunday.. But not again... 

You fall, so you know how to PICK YOURSELF BACK UP.

(Side note: I only work 2 days this week, so I am trying to pre-write posts for Wednesday, Turkey Day, and Friday... so you probably won't hear race results until Monday morning... We'll see...)


1 comment:

  1. I went through something incredibly similar to this. Throughout all my training for my marathon, I had no injuries. Right before the race (weeks, just a few weeks), I injured my foot AND toe AND calf. It was like a one-two punch. It hurt so badly that I even had to take time off from running before the big race. On race day before the run, it still hurt... terribly. I sucked it up and went out to run, no matter how much it hurt. Oh... and I prayed a lot, too :) The entire race came and went and I didn't feel a stitch of pain then, nor ever again. Just take care of yourself and maybe say a prayer or two... you never know. Bodies can do miraculous things!

    ReplyDelete