People Just as Crazy as Me

Monday, December 2, 2013

So, who wants to read about my AMAZING 5 day weekend?

Hello All! I hope y'all liked my pre-written posts from last week. And I hope you all had a wonderful and Happy Thanksgiving. 

So now, that I am back, I wanted to give you a first hand account of my AMAZING 5 day weekend!

Ready? Because this is going to be a long one!

I woke up on Wednesday morning, without pain in my foot/ankle.. feeling really good. Of course, I couldn't sleep late, because my body is trained to be up and ready at 5a during the weekdays... So, I got up and watched "Identity Thief" on demand... I have to admit, there was a couple funny moments, but overall.. I really didn't enjoy it. I think the Melissa McCarthy's humor supersedes the scripts that they write for her. Just saying.

It was a perfect day. The previous day, Emry was supposed to have a "Turkey Dinner" at his school, but due to the weather it was postponed until Wednesday... which is WONDERFUL because I could GO! The first grade classes had a feast of Turkey, Stuffing, Vegetables, Corn Bread Muffins, and a wonderful dessert section. Needless to say, my hopes of not eating any crap before my race went RIGHT out the window... but, I didn't go over the moon... and I had a nice time.

Emry showed me around his class, and I got to see the little hidden things, that only a mother would find... The group of girls that would walk over and giggle when they spoke to Joey. The kids who seemed to be unsure whether or not Klay and I were his parents or his siblings (which on a side note is a pretty cool feeling)... 

After that, it seemed kind of silly to let him sit in school for another hour (half day and all).. so we took him home early, and had a really LAZY day... 

I made the trifle for Thanksgiving Day Dessert... It was a Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle... If you want the recipe, you will have to find it here...    I did some additions, like between each layer I used Dark Chocolate and Caramel Syrup (and I may have used some Spiked Egg Nog.. just for a little something special!).

Then we watched TV, and movies... and just hung out. I didn't clean... I didn't work out... I didn't do NOTHING... I wanted to be perfectly relaxed for the next mornings 5k.

I woke up at ... wait for it... 5a AGAIN... I really have a hard time sleeping in... It's awful. I got dressed, and got to Registration around 715a... The race began at 8a. I got registered, proceeded to warm up slowly outside. This consisted of me walking to and from my car a couple of times...

The temperature was 24 degrees, there was very little wind, and no precipitation. This was the best way to start this race. My father, Klay and Emry met me by the starting lane... 

And almost as soon as I got there... I was off... It was cold, and I didn't want to push to hard and run out of all of my energy, so I found a good pace... and just started to chug along. 

Photo by: Catello Somma
To my surprise, I was starting to pass people. What do you mean I was passing people? I know, it was kind of amazing to me.. Of course the hard core runners were far ahead of me.. but, I didn't care... I knew I was doing something AWESOME. As I made it towards the first mile, I looked up, and in the distance, I saw this very tall man, with a camera.. and this little woman next to him.. JUMPING up and DOWN... And waving at me. Lissa, and her New Beau (the photographer)... I smiled and kept chugging along... UP the first hill. 

After mile one, there was this other hill, not too steep, but , it prepared you for a very nice downhill trip to mile 2. At mile 2, I saw my entire support group (From dad - to Lissa's new beau)... All cheering for me... Emry screaming "GO MAMA RUN!!!" And Klay "HELLO GORGEOUS!" That gave me such.. adrenaline and happiness, I realized I started to pick up some speed. I was 2/3 of the way there.. I can DO this... 

My new gear felt amazing, the only thing cold, was the tip of my nose.. the only thing that WASN'T Covered! Ha! I rounded my way down the hill... and started to see someone ushering people towards the 3rd mile marker. I looked more closely, and it was the President of the Running Club, ED! 
"Good Morning Ed!" I screamed to him.. 
"Good Morning Jillian! I came back for you! You look great, you are doing great! Let's finish up!"
How sweet is that? He remembered me from the 2 times we have met, saw me running and after he had finished.. Wanted to SEE ME THROUGH! That's a great man! 

I passed the third mile marker, and could see this finish line! I pushed through.. even though I was tired... And crossed the line. 
Photo by: Catello Somma
Official time of 37 minutes 25.5 seconds. 

Not my best time, but an AMAZING time for my first ever 5k!

I was so happy! 

I sat down inside the mall (where the race was held at) and warmed up... With everyone around me.. We posed for a picture with a fellow runner.. who was dressed as a turkey... 

We went to breakfast at Denny's... and oh BOY did I have a WONDERFUL breakfast! 

Came home, finished watching the parade... and then had a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner with Klay's family. These people haven't seen me in a year.. so the reactions to my new physique were very.... well, they made me blush! 

We ate WAY TOO much... went home (with left overs OF COURSE) and then watched TV together. I don't remember what movie, all I know is that we all got into our PJ's. And ZONED out. Into a turkey coma! 

Friday morning was the day when I woke up and actually did a little workout. No cardio of course... But, I felt the need to, since I could still feel the previous dinner still in my stomach. I went food shopping, and may have stopped by the custom shoe fitting place... and got REAL running shoes... And oh boy are they fancy! Came home, cleaned the house from top to bottom, made the food for the week... Curious? Well, It's gumbo.. The recipe can be found somewhere in my Recipe List! MmmMmmmmm Can't wait to have it for dinner, come to think of it. 

Then we lit a fire, and had another very peaceful evening. Which may have included a quick trip to Dairy Queen for ice cream. Oh man... It was TASTY! And counter productive. Just in case you were curious, sitting in front of a fireplace while eating ice cream.. makes you eat it REALLY FAST.... due to increased melting! 

Saturday was COVERT OPPS Day. I told Klay that I had to help my friend run a "pampered chef" party... and then disappeared for the morning. This is something Sandy and I have been planning for about 2 weeks now. She came with me, and we hit up a Record (read: vinyl) Store about an hour away. This was so I could get Klay's Christmas Present without being suspected. 

When I got home, I watched Klay hang our outdoor Christmas Decorations. No, we didn't do a tree, we plan on picking that up this weekend! But, our outdoor stuff looks CLASSY and BEAUTIFUL! 

We then took Emry bowling. Which was a LOAD of fun.. We ate Food from the snack bar, and played in the arcade. Let me just tell you, Emry was the big winner of the night. That kid has some talent. Where as I... while I needed the bumpers put on to my lane! Ha! 

We came home, and then my dad took us out to our local Indian Restaurant. This is when Emry saw the folded napkins and decided they looked like hats... Klay followed suit... It was ADORABLE.

Came home, and almost instantly went to sleep. Busy day.. but great it was!


We were supposed to go to a Christmas Party on Sunday, in the early evening. But throughout this weekend, Emry had this cough that wouldn't go away, and I didn't want him coughing all over his friends. So I texted the mother, and let her know that we wouldn't be attending. 

Klay and I had previously planned on hiking up to Table Rock (at Minnewaska State Preserve), so we left Emry with the grandparents (Klay's mom and dad)... and proceeded to take this great hike. 

Klay has been building up this view for years now... and when we got to the top.. it was really overcast. He was really disappointed, but, I still thought it was beautiful. Plus, I couldn't have made this journey a year ago... so, I took it as a major accomplishment.

We then started heading out to lunch, which was supposed to be at Bacchus.. which is where our first official "date" was. But, at the last minute, Klay asks if I want to go to this other place. And since I had never been there.. I said yes, and we went there. It's called the Gilded Otter Brewing Company. They are a brewery and restaurant. 

Now, this is where things get pretty interesting, I hope you all have stayed with me to this point.
During lunch, Klay puts this tiny nesting doll on the table.. "I got you a present".

I collect nesting dolls. I absolutely adore them. So I grab it, and there was this weird clunk sound that came from within it. Not the sound wood makes against wood... but, a more metallic sound.

I put the nesting doll down, and said "There's something in there."

Klay very snarkily, "Isn't that the point."

I knew... I hope you all know where this is going...

So, I peaked in and saw it... So I closed it really quickly and looked away... Crying and Laughing. 
As I began to open it again... Klay got on one knee... 

And asked me to marry him. 


Yup, that's right people... I am officially engaged.

And over the moon about it. 

It fits perfectly..... 

I am very happy. 

So, there, is my FABULOUS (from top to bottom) 5 DAY WEEKEND!



  1. OH My GOD!!! Congrats!!!! I'm so happy for you! how exciting!!!!

  2. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! love you love you!

  3. BEST WEEKEND EVER. So excited for you!!! Happy everything!

  4. AWWWW SWEETIE!!! I know how much you wanted this to finally happen. I am so happy for you woman! Congratulations <3

  5. I just had to come back and post again! You are such a wonderful mother Kateri and you will make a wonderful wife as well. Not that you arent already kind of living that lifestyle but being married is a adventure all on its own. I look forward to wedding posts!