People Just as Crazy as Me

Friday, April 4, 2014

Does everyone know what this is?

http://www.listindustries.com/images/icons/single-point-latch.png 

Does everyone know what this is?
It is the latch within a locker... and it is, the first real exercise related injury I have ever gotten. 

Yup... There's a story to go with it.

Yesterday, I was running a little behind, and was rushing to get into the gym... So...

I hang out my stuff in the locker and quickly bring down my arm....

KAPOW! Searing pain through out my entire arm....
I brought my elbow right down into the inner locker latch. 
And it hurt so bad I couldn't breathe. It took all my strength not to scream out an obscenity and/or cry.

So, I rub it a little, and continue to the gym... For my weight/strength session... Also, probably not such a good idea, hindsight is 50/50 and all that.

I figured it was just a little bump.. injury to the "funny bone"... I could work out.

About half way through my workout I realize that this pain is NOT going away, and that I am seeing the bruise start to form... 

OH JOYOUS DAY.

I finish out my workout, using lighter weights, and trying to not put too much strain on the area...

And get some ice on it.. then some heat... then some ice...

4 hours later... my arm still felt like it was going to fall off from the pain.

I was freaking out... WHAT IF A BROKE THE OLECRANON? (Olecranon is the bone that makes up the majority of the elbow joint. If it's broken, you really have to keep the arm stabilized and basically have to immobilize the area) 

So, I'm praying and praying that it's not broken. 
That I just bruised it really really good.

I get home, after grocery shopping, and it's still aching and emitting sharp pain... The bruise was RED and INFLAMMED... 

I took some tylenol, a muscle relaxer, drank a bunch of water.. Put Tiger Balm on it... Elevated it and Put an Ice Compression wrap on it. 

R - REST
I - ICE
C - COMPRESSION
E - ELEVATION

This is the things you should do with an acute injury. 

I know, nowhere in there does it say "Take a muscle relaxer".. But, I knew it would help... 

Trouble is.. I haven't taken one of my muscle relaxers in.. oh... 8 months? 
Ever since I've lost the weight, my pain syndrome is just about NON-EXISTANT. Imagine that!

So, the dose is usually 2 pills... every 4-6 hours as needed.... So, I knew not to take 2... So, I took 1... and it STILL messed with me.

My arm was pain free.. which was a blessing... But, I got the worst INSOMNIA you have ever known. 

I didn't sleep at all........ 

So today, I'm a bit punchy...

However, my arm feels tons better, and since today is REST day... I won't be aggravating it in any way! Except for this typing thing.. But, if I don't type, they think I'm not working... SO, you know.. Gotsa Type! 

The bruise is a dull purple color.. almost look like I'm a leper or that I have been infected by a  zombie...

SO, lesson for all of you.

EVEN IF YOU ARE IN A RUSH... NEVER... UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES... DO YOU RUSH AND FLAIL NEAR A LOCKER... Hazardous and Hysterical Injuries will occur.

Stupid Injury.. Kind of Amusing...I bruised my elbow... and my pride.. just a little.

Happy Friday

1 comment:

  1. Okay, got it. No flailing around lockers hahha. Well I hope it heals up soon, at least it made for a story ;)

    ReplyDelete