People Just as Crazy as Me

Friday, April 11, 2014

Friday = Rest Day, and Current Recipes I've discovered

I woke up this morning and I saw the sun... 6am..... Not 4:30am like normal.
I love Fridays, I love my rest day.

I workout roughly 5-6 days a week now, and I finally got it stuck in my head that a day of rest WAS NOT the devil, and that I am worthy of a moment of relaxation.

Rest Day does now mean I throw out my Healthy Mindset. I pack my foods more wisely. Rest days, are usually the days in which I am the MOST hungry. 

A personal trainer friend of mine said this is because, "Recovery requires more energy than when you work." 

With this in mind, I pack accordingly. I make sure I bring a healthy (yet filling) breakfast, my normal lunch (with a little extra protein) and my afternoon snack (2:30p every day, fruit/veggie snacky). Also, if I wake up on Friday mornings and I am already feeling famished, I'll pack a little extra for the drive home... usually a smoothie.

Today I packed:
  • Breakfast: Breakfast Smoothie (8oz) - this has Unsweetened Almond/Coconut Milk, a banana, a little peanut butter, and a dash of cinnamon. I also packed one of these amazing Banana, Coconut & Chocolate Chip bars I made. Now, wait, before you say "You brought a cookie bar for breakfast". I'll have you know that there was 7-9 ingredients, and the entire recipe made about 30 little cookie bars... Their nutritional content was exactly where it should be, and equivalent to many breakfast bars I've seen.
    I did use less of the Brown Sugar (I honestly, didn't quite have enough at home), The shredded coconut (I use palm fulls, not handfuls), and the dark chocolate chips (because once again, I'm a horrible pantry surveyor, and I did not have enough).
    Nutritional Value (if you followed the recipe exactly): 130 Calories, 0.7g fat, 17g Carb, 0.6g Fiber, 1.1g Protein

    Overall My breakfast (Smoothie + Bar): 228 Calories, 5g Fat, 29g Carb, 2g Fiber, 2.5g Protein
  • Lunch: Mixed Greens Salad (with homemade buffalo ranch *read: I use a lot of hot sauce, because I can't live without it, and a tiny squeeze of ranch, because it was all we had in the fridge, and I didn't feel like making a vinaigrette*), an Apple and a Dannon Greek Light & Fit Yogurt (Caramel Macchiatto flavor)
    Overall My Lunch: 253 Calories, 8g Fat, 35.7g Carb, 4.9g Fiber, 13.2g Protein
  • Afternoon Snack: This is a fruit & veggie picky snack. Things I can pop in my mouth, that stop me from wanting a Candy (Sweet) or a Chip (Salt). It is comprised of small handfuls of the following: Baby Carrots, Blackberries, Strawberries (3), Yellow Cherry Tomatoes, Green Olives stuffed with Garlic Cloves (4).
    Overall My snack is approximately: 90 Calories, 4g Fat, 17g Carb, 3.3g Fiber, 1g Protein

I knew today I would be feeling a little more hungry, and I planned a drive home snack, which is going to be the rest of the Breakfast Smoothie (98 calories). I try to take in at least 1200 to 1300 calories on the days that I am not working out. Which means today, I have the option of having a nice protein filled dinner, and, if it isn't too late, a healthy dessert. I haven't quite planned what dinner tonight will be.. but, I know we have so many great options in the house.

Today, is usually grocery shopping day, but, I was so fortunate to be able to do it last night. SO tonight, I will be making the food for the next week, a breakfast option for the family (maybe I'll have one too... and share a bunch with work), cutting up fruit and veggies for each snack packing, making a couple of hard boiled eggs (for my breakfasts), and just planning the weekend meals.

I find that weekends are the hardest for me. I have a real hard time staying on track, or just staying dedicated. Overall, we do not really stock a lot of crap food... but, that doesn't stop us from going out to eat, or getting take out. Thus, if I plan for the weekend, we all make better choices.

It's all a mindset, and it's all about my dedication.. to being Healthy.. to truly embracing it. Planning helps me to stick strong to that mindset.


This week, I am going to make an amazing recipe I found over at The Picky Eater

Cumin and Lentil Quesadillas

Tell me these don't sound DELICIOUS?! Now, I'll have to prepare enough for each of us (3-4 people, depending on how Emry feels about dinner that night) 5 servings. But, with the ingredient list, it turned out to be wallet friendly as well as healthy!

Nutritional Info Per Serving: 250 Calories, 6g Fat, 868mg Sodium, 33g Carbs, 5g Fiber, 5g Sugar, 8g Protein
 
That will be the main dish, I also have quite a bit of mixed greens and kale in the house for salads or sauteing.  We have frozen veggies in the freezer if anyone is feeling oober picky, and There's always fruit. I know my father will want me to make rice for it... He wants rice with everything. But, if I don't make it.. he'll find other options... Hopefully healthy ones... Sooner or later the only option is the PRODUCE DRAWER! (I'm mean, I know...)


The weird thing about my family is, on the weekends, no one eats breakfast... It's UNHEARD of. Dad and Klay both have massive amounts of coffee, and then come lunch time are ravenous... Emry is quite the same.. but I swear that kid ate Cereal and Milk for every meal on one Saturday (I wasn't proud, but, sometimes, it has to happen). The truth is, I'm not a baker, and the last time I tried to do a casserole via crock pot, it came out DISASTROUS.... So, I've opted to try baking things with easy instructions and basic ingredients. 
 
This weekend I am trying 2 ingredient Pumpkin Muffins. I found this recipe over at Lipgloss and Crayons!

2 Ingredient Pumpkin Muffins | This Girl's Life Blog
And she found the recipe from a blog called "This Girl's Life Blog"

I bought Chocolate Cake mix, because the post said it be a nice toss up, and who doesn't love a little chocolate? This recipe will make probably 24 muffins (at least that's what the prep picture shows), so they are roughly 92 calories. Who wouldn't want to eat fresh baked muffins? EXACTLY! And whatever they do not eat, I'll package a few up and pass them out at work or at karate. I don't think I'll be sprinkling powdered sugar on them... but maybe a little (eensy weensy) bit of some cinnamon sugar. We'll see how my confidence fairs! HA!

My breakfasts will be comprised of a Hard boiled egg, a protein drink, and some fruit. Will I try one of these muffins? Maybe... depends how focused I stay this weekend. I may allow one on Sunday.

The fruits and veggies I purchased for the week are: Kale, Red Peppers, Baby Carrots, Cherry Tomatoes, Blackberries, Strawberries, Grapes, and Macintosh Apples
I'll slice up the red peppers into strips, and the rest are easy enough to portion out for snacks and salad toppings.

The weekend dinners... Saturday and Sunday Dinners are DAUNTING. You want to make something everyone will eat, and that SOUNDS better than going out for takeout.

Saturday, I am planning on cooking some baked clams I got from the grocery store. Everyone loves them, and they are great paired with any side dish. I know Emry will not like the side dish though.. I found a recipe a Tomato Kale Polenta Skillet over at  Little Leopard Book

Roasted Tomato and Kale Polenta Skillet
Check out the recipe!

It seems easy enough to make, and almost something you would order at a fancy schmancy restaurant. So, I know the adults will love it. Emry, will probably get carrots, or cherry tomatoes, or a salad. I am hoping to be able to get him to try a forkful. But, I won't make him eat it. 

I know there will be left over clams and skillet, so my hopes are that the men folk will have seconds for lunch on Sunday.

I try not to plan the lunches at all, depending on our weekend schedules, we tend to all eat at different times. I have my food laid out (Yogurt, Fruit, Salad).... And Emry is usually really easy when asked what he wants to eat.

Sunday .. IS THE WORST... I always forget to plan for it. It's not like I don't know Sunday is coming. It's also not like I know it's the worst FOOD day of the week for us. I'm always worried that I'll over cook for the weekends, and that food will go bad. 

This Sunday, I have my breakfast and lunch planned. The menfolk and  will have breakfast and lunch options... But, dinner, Holy cow.. what to do about DINNER?!?!?! 

I'm thinking this week, I'll defrost some chicken sausage, cut it up and sautee it, and put it over salad/kale. It's easy... Everyone will like it... And I don't have to worry about left overs! 


I hope to balance out all of this amazing food, with exercise. On Saturday, we have to drive to NJ and pick up a desk we bought from a friend's mother. I have to bring my car (the LEMON) to the mechanic for new rear tires... OH, and please look out for ANOTHER post about my Lemony Car and it's crazy antics! We still have to finish some vintage shopping for our next trip to Steampunk World's Fair.

There is also house work to do. You know the basics: Vacuuming, Mopping (Kitchen/Bathrooms/Dining Room), Bathrooms, Laundry (of all shapes and sizes), Kitchen cleaning, Dusting. 
 
I know that means I'll be weight lifting (the desk isn't light), walking, and bending. But, that isn't really enough. **FINGERS CROSSED for some Running Time and Weight Time at the YMCA on SATURDAY!**

Sunday, as long as everything works out on Saturday, I should be able to get to the "Y" by 9 or 10a, with the rest of the family. But, we'll see how that goes. 

It's supposed to rain a little on both days, so I'm not sure if running outside will be an option. But, it would be wonderful if I got the chance! 

Enjoy your weekend folks! See you on Monday!

4 comments:

  1. all of these recipes look SO GOOD!! I just bought a huge bag of kale so def trying those kale and tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!! I am just taking it easy this weekend. It is so hot outside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um....................................................... so LEZ BE HONEST HERE. Who are you and what freaking magazine did you step out of. You are effing gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaha. I'm sure you're talking about the profile pic. She is a gorgeous model.

      I try to maintain a pseudo-image on the blog-universe... I'm really not THAT (see above profile pic) pretty... BUT.. I'm pretty cute!

      Every once and awhile I post pictorial updates on my fitness level... You get a more accurate assessment of me from those!

      However, you, are GORGEOUS! Inside and out.. from what I am reading!

      Delete