People Just as Crazy as Me

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Wedding Post #5 - Cake Toppers

I never knew how hard it would be to choose a Wedding Cake Topper. I had no concept of the different options there were online... 

Someone should have prepared me for this.

Klay and I have been going back and forth for about two months, about what type of cake topper we want. Our theme is Rustic/Woodsy/Antique Store Chic... And our cake is going to look something like THIS:
http://sweetweddingcakes.info/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/rustic-tree-wedding-cakesrustic-wedding-cake--initials-carved-into-a-tree-country-wedd-bv5nbhgn.jpg 

But instead of flowers being used, the bakery is going to make vine like tree limbs with tri-colored leaves. 

So, we were thinking of anything that would go with that theme... So, I went to Etsy.com... I mean seriously... you can find ANYTHING on Etsy. 

Rustic Cake Toppers - 5,685 items (136 pages of returns)

That was too many too look at. It overwhelmed me just after the third page. 

So we had to go back to the drawing board... we had to narrow down our ideas.

I love penguins, but they aren't really "rustic" animals...
I was also thinking of something Steampunk or Renaissance-esque.. But all of the ones I looked for were just... cheesy... Or overpriced and GORGEOUS.

I looked at ones with Trees on them, Birds... Finally... Klay and I thought that THIS, was the cake topper:

 
Owl Wedding Cake Topper  Mr & Mrs -  Rustic Country Chic Wedding
find it here!

It was simple, It was us.. it went with the theme... I thought we were SOLD...
The price was right, so I held off on buying it for a couple of weeks.

Fast forward to the Wedding Tasting... Klay asks me, as we are sampling the wedding cake... 

"Did you order those owls"
"No... not yet."
"Don't. I don't think I like them anymore"

UGH! 
So, I told him we needed to figure it out... and it came down to this:

Some were too PLAIN and SIMPLE
AND
Some were too FLASHY and OUT THERE.

So, what do I do?
I'm a thinker and a doer.

I WILL MAKE THE CAKE TOPPER.
LET'S GO TO MICHAELS!

I swear, once I got a glue gun, my mind told me that I had a cape on, and endless amounts of time.
That is what I think happened... because, even though I do not have the time to do this.. I am going to.

Let me show you what I'm working with...


  1. Wooden Crafting Owls - $5/piece
  2.  Sparkly Tulle - $3/roll 
  3. Oak Crafting Rounds - $2/piece (got two)
  4. Floral Bendable Hair Sprig - It's got silver mirrored leaves... the picture is the closest thing I could find online.
  5. Tuxedo Wine Bottle Cover

Now the plan is to give one a little tuxedo, and give the other a veil. Then glue them to the oak bases.

I'm not afraid to do this, I think I can actually do a great job with them... **FINGERS CROSSED JUST IN CASE THOUGH**

Klay loved the idea... and he is confident in my abilities...

Plus, it is those UNIQUE touches that truly make a Wedding!

What do you guys think?


6 comments:

  1. Don't you love when they change their minds!?! I think what you are working with is going to turn out amazing and beautiful and perfect!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. STOP IT! Owls in tuxedos!??! this is too cute!! can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea! You know me though, our wedding was all DIY, so of course I think it's a great idea! I think that the idea is too freaking cute and I KNOW you can do it with ease.

    And by the way, I love the idea of the cake! So rustic and down to earth, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww I cannot wait to see your wedding come together <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Favorite wedding cake topper is the "promise" cake topper: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007CKKOXE?ie=UTF8&camp=213733&creative=393185&creativeASIN=B007CKKOXE&linkCode=shr&tag=iblu3-20

    ReplyDelete