People Just as Crazy as Me

Friday, May 16, 2014

National Women’s Health Week (May 11-17) - Spreading Mesothelioma Awareness

Last week, a woman named Heather Von St. James reached out to me and asked me if I could help her out. A little weary, I asked her how I could help her. And I was praying to God this wasn't a SPAM thing... Because I was not sending a million dollars or my personal information to someone in Nigeria.. we all get those emails... you know it!

She told me a little about herself: 
"Eight years ago, I was diagnosed with mesothelioma; a rare and deadly cancer caused only by exposure to asbestos. I had just given birth to our daughter Lily, and was only given 15 months to live. After a life saving surgery that included the removal of my left lung, I’ve made it my life’s mission to spread awareness about mesothelioma and thedangers of asbestos.
My father had worked in construction and would come home with dust all over him. As a child I would wear his work coat, unknowingly exposing myself to the asbestos he worked with daily. Mesothelioma was once considered a ‘man’s disease’, but women have swiftly become the new patient profile due to second-hand exposure.
In honor of upcoming National Women’s Health Week (May 11-17), I am reaching out to bloggers to ask for help in spreading the word about mesothelioma and it’s causes. During this week, individuals, families, and communities work to help women learn how to achieve longer, healthier, and safer lives!"
She blogs for a site called the Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance. This site has many amazing factoids and information about Mesothelioma. And since I knew very little about it, I should do some searching about the disease. 
 Mesothelioma is an aggressive cancer affecting the membrane lining of the lungs and abdomen.
There are different types of this cancer as well: Malignant, Pleural, Peritoneal, and Pericardial.
There are several risk factors that increase the likelihood that a person will develop mesothelioma. The primary risk factor is asbestos exposure. Exposure to this very harmful substance can significantly enhance the chances of contracting the disease. Smoking does not have a direct causal relationship with mesothelioma but is a significant compounding factor and increases the chances of developing the disease. Other less common secondary factors include exposure to radiation, zeolite, simian virus 40 (SV40) and erionite.

If you know someone who has Mesothelioma, or if you are just interested in learning more about this type of cancer.. please go visit the web site.

You may learn something that may help a friend or family member down the line!
Or if you wanted to spread awareness yourself.. please add the link to one of your posts! 
 

2 comments:

  1. I will check out the site. My cousin is a survivor of this terrible disease.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is something I hadn't actually heard of before, but I'll definitely be checking out the website to find out some more information on it.

    ReplyDelete