People Just as Crazy as Me

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Tabata Thursday - The class I needed!

IT IS THAT TIME AGAIN! MY NEW ADDICTION
 http://smidttenurbane.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/tabata.jpg
 
It seems that I have made Tabata a habit.. not just a habit.. it's kind of a love affair.
I keep going back to see what we're doing! And it makes me just.. SO STINKING EXCITED
 
Once again Tabta is a HIIT class (High Intensity Interval Training). Participants go through 7 different stations, 2 exercises per station. Each exercise is 20 seconds long, with 10 second breaks. Each station gets 4 repetitions of the 2 exercises. It's about 4 minutes for each station, and then you get a 2 minute break between stations. 
 
The only bad thing today, is that one of the exercises was a little hard on everyone, and needed extra explaining each cycle change... so we ran out of time on the last station and could only do half. 
Major Bummer.. not super sad though.. I was sweating in places I didn't know could sweat.


Station 1 - Ropes
Alternate Swing and Reverse Lunge
Hip Toss

http://livenuphealthandfitness.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/battling-ropes-exercise-act.jpgThe Alternating Swing is getting easier each week. I really do not hate the ropes at all.. it requires me to work.. REALLY HARD... to get the rope to move, and that means I am burning SOMETHING. Right? Am I right?


http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2008/0531/20080531__20080602_C01_FE02FTROPE~p1.JPGThe Hip Toss was kind of fun. Why do you ask? Well, my goal was to try and knock down the over sized water bottle someone placed TOO close to my station. So with every right hip swing, I was aiming for that water bottle. This is from the woman who wouldn't let me pair with her.. because "She was waiting for her friend".. Suck it up buttercup, friendsywendsy should have been there on freaking time. The instructor caught on to what I was doing, laughed, and then moved it a little further away from my ropes. See.. motivation is motivation!


Station 2 - TRX
Hamstring Runners
Reverse Crunch w/ Pullover

http://www.wickedfitness.co/wp-content/themes/TRX/images/excercise/strength-advanced/trx-hamstring-runner.pngI hated TRX today.. and this was the station that people were having trouble with. It was really quite something.  The Hamstring runners look easy. Pick your butt up and then run your legs back and forth. Is that what happened? Nope. The TRX holds felt awkward behind my heel. It didn't feel natural, and I think that is what got me tripped up.



http://www.wickedfitness.co/wp-content/themes/TRX/images/excercise/strength/trx-hamstring-curl.pngThe reverse crunch with pullover is only half shown by this picture. As you pull your legs toward you, you are lifting a dumbbell over your head towards your knees. It was not fun, and put my body in uncomfortable angles... I did it. It hurt, and I hated it.. but I did it.



Station 3 - Barbell
Forward lunge w/ Rotation
Squat upright row

http://worldsfittest.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/0603_twisting_lunge_1.jpgWith this exercise, I had a 20 pound barbell on my shoulders, and it really felt awesome, no sarcasm I swear, to get down into the lunge and just twist a little. It stretched and burned at the same time. And, for me.. it was... sort of relaxing!






http://a57.foxnews.com/global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/fn-latino/health/660/371/Marta%20Deadlift%203.jpg?ve=1&tl=1The Squat Upright Row also wasn't a hard thing. I think next week, I'm going to up the barbell to 30 or 40.. I need a challenge.



 
Station 4- Kettlebell
Arm Swing
Jack Press

http://cdn.sheknows.com/articles/2012/05/kettlebell-workout-5-dynamic-moves-for-full-body-fitness-arm-swing.jpgI used a 15lb kettlebell for the arm swing, and I think I could have gone to 20lb. I felt the workout, I felt the sweat pooling.. I just wanted MORE of it? Does anyone ever feel like that? I think the only thing holding me back, is the fear I'm going to hurt myself. NO FEAR MORE KETTLEBELL! 



http://getfityou.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Jumping-Jacks-Shoulder-Press.jpg The jack press I used a 10lb kettlebell, as instructed by the teacher. And understandably so, because you have no idea how much your body doesn't want to do this. Also, there is the fear you are going to smack yourself in the face with the bell. Ha!

 


Station 5- Abs
Side V-up
Boat Press

https://www.fitstudio.com/system/images/217/print/143_Side_V-up.jpg?1366126881New Ab Exercises? Why THANK YOU! I'm going to practice this Side V-up more often. It seemed to work the same areas that "threading the needle did" but, I kind of liked being on the floor! (Ha.. that's what she said)... 




http://www.womenshealthmag.com/files/images/mv-boat-curl.jpgThe hardest part about a boat press.. is your coordination. If you cannot rub your belly and pat your head.. you will not be able to do this. It's a chewing gum and walking type of exercise. Really.. It's just getting the motion, and then it's a great workout. 





Station 6 - Cardio
Burpee with sliders
Jumping Lunge

http://www.stepandswing.net/sites/default/files/blog/20131204082912-roll-the-dice-burpees-7-day-challenge1.pngBurpees require no formal explanation.. the meme will suffice. You're welcome. Only thing that made them interesting was that we had little sliders on our feet.. kind of like speed skating burpees... It was enjoyable. 




http://www.womenshealthmag.com/files/images/0904-lunge-jumps_0.jpgJump lunges SUCK BUTT. Just saying. Hated these. WHOLE HEARTEDLY HATED THEM. But, that means I should focus on them... Hate it til you Make it. Booyah...





Station 7- Ropes
Rope Pull
Rope Plank

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/_zpMbbGnHqY/maxresdefault.jpgSeated Rope pull is so gratifying. I imagine someone I totally hate on the other end of the rope.. and I am pulling them in to punch them. Total Mortal Kombat Status... COME HERE! Inspiration and Motivation can be evil too. hahahaha!



http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/O2Xxyk8vrJw/0.jpgYes, you are looking at a picture of a man, in a plank position, making the heavy rope go in waves. Yes that is what we were expected to do.. I had ripples more than waves... but I did it. One hand Ripple.. change hands Ripple... It was interesting. It was fun. ROPES... I love you!


The cool down was quick. I wish it were longer, but we had run over on time, and I had to really RUN home and barely had time to get gas before getting on the highway.
It was the workout I needed. It was the workout I wanted.

But, Now, I'm pretty beat.. not from the Tabata.. but more so from the running I had to do to get here.
I hope everyone gets a little active today! 
THURSDAY EXERCISE JUST FUELS US TOWARDS FRIDAY!

9 comments:

  1. Ropes are my worst enemy!! I hate them so much, but they are so good for me. It's a terrible affair.
    Way to dominate your workout girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds intense...in a good way! Maybe I will try something like that out after I finish with Body Beast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love ropes but I hate burpees with a passion! Looks like such a great workout! Rope plank what?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wrote "thursday exercise fuels us for Friday" on a sticky note! OMG how horrifying are jack presses. I died trying those thinking they would be so easy...!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so need your motivation and all.

    http://nightowlventing02.blogspot.com/2014/05/hump-day-confessions_21.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've still not found a tabata class yet, but it's something that I hope I can find nearby to try out. That sounds like a great circuit. I might have to try out something similar myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Tabat/HIIT!! Classes are even better cuz there's no way in hell I am going to stop as frequently as I would on my own! The one armed plank w/rope looks crazy - I've never done that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. tabata is amazing! i'm all for short and intense workouts because who has time to spend hours at the gym??

    -kathy
    Vodka and Soda

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...did my comment go through? or did blogger eat it again?

    ReplyDelete