People Just as Crazy as Me

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Tabata Thursday! The SAGA continues!

T IS THAT TIME AGAIN! MY NEW ADDICTION
 http://smidttenurbane.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/tabata.jpg
 
It seems that I have made Tabata a habit.. not just a habit.. it's kind of a love affair.
I keep going back to see what we're doing! And it makes me just.. SO STINKING EXCITED. 
 
All levels of Fitness Geek go to this class, and I love how we all inspire each other to keep going!
 
Once again Tabta is a HIIT class (High Intensity Interval Training). Participants go through 7 different stations, 2 exercises per station. Each exercise is 20 seconds long, with 10 second breaks. Each station gets 4 repetitions of the 2 exercises. It's about 4 minutes for each station, and then you get a 2 minute break between stations. 
 
Once again, there needed to be a little extra explaining, to new students, and people who just didn't understand the initial explanation of each station. .. so we ran out of time and couldn't do the last station. I'll tell you what it was supposed to be, and I was wicked excited to try it again.. Perhaps, next week, I will try to get to the hard station FIRST... so I can at least say I did it.

I still got an amazing workout in. And I love how I feel after class.


Station 1: Ropes
Alternating Lunge Swing
Knee Down Double Swing

http://livenuphealthandfitness.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/battling-ropes-exercise-act.jpgJust like last week we did the alternating lunge swing, and I got to tell you, I get more and more confident on the ropes every week. This is not to say that they do not kick my butt, but it's a happy sort of butt kicking, does that make sense?

The One Knee Down Double Swing, I swear, by the second set, I had my eyes closed tight, and I was pushing through it like nobodies business. Nothing was stopping me from giving my all today!
 


Station 2: Climbing Ropes
Floor to Feet Climbers
Back Row

This was super cool. You start on your butt, and then using your arms, NO LEGS LADIES, you lift yourself up to your FEET. And then, using only your arms, lower yourself back down. THIS WAS WICKED COOL. I saw this, and I thought, "YES!".. and I think I verbally and physically may have done a Yippee Skippee dance. I am getting way to excited over this class.

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/cm/menshealthuk/images/2Q/low-row-43122676.jpgUsing the same rope, we did back rows, and I can feel my muscles getting stronger in this area. And I find that I can lean back more, each time we do this. 



Station 3: Barbell
Clean and Press
Pulsing Squat

http://www.fitbie.com/sites/default/files/bbell-squat-heelsraiseb-female.jpghttp://www.menshealth.co.uk/cm/menshealthuk/images/eh/barbellpowerclean.jpgJust like I promised, this week I upped the weight on my barbell. 30 lbs.. and it felt AMAZING. if I can do little steps, I'm sure I can be to a forty pound barbell soon enough. Not going to lie, the pulsing squats weren't the MOST fun I've ever hard, but I felt the burn, and the burn is good. So you just got to keep pushing... The pulsing squat kept you in the squat down position, with little pulses up and down. So you never really go back up to full leg extension. Total whoa... Total Awesome. Total SWEAT FEST! 

Station 4: Kettlebell
Jerks
Woodchop

Now, I've seen JERKS done, and in concept they seem pretty easy. And then, you get a 10lb kettlebell in your hands... not so easy. There is a coordination thing that comes with ALL of these exercises. Arm goes up, Legs go into Squat. Arm goes back to shoulder level, you extend your legs again. Our instructor basically wanted us doing jumps between the two moves, and I swear the jumps are what throw me off... Not sure why... Just a little blonde coming out I suppose :P

http://drstaceynaito.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/woodchop.pngThe woodchoppers are fun, no lie. I used a 15lb kettlebell, and I felt it the whole way through each motion. My obliques cried out, and there was a little stretch as you bring it up towards your head... If you've never done a woodchopper, imagine you have an ax, and you are attempting to cut through a block of wood... Apply that motion with a kettlebell.. Done and Done.

Station 5: Abs
Leg Raised Punches
Boat Presses

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/files/images/mv-boat-curl.jpghttp://julielohre.com/wp2/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Lying_Leg_Raise_with_DB_Press_Alternating-1.jpgI couldn't find a good picture for the Leg Raised Punches. The below picture shows half of this. Instead of your head being on the floor, raise it, so that you have your back off the floor. Keep your arms in front of you, in a guard position, then using the dumbbells: PUNCH. Keep your legs up, and keep punching. This burns... from the first second you start it. Your body isn't sure what muscle to yell about first. Keep doing it... Your abs will thank you later! I know mine are! 

Boat presses, from last week, but this time, I was prepared. I added Boat Presses into my core workout, and have the motion down. That was the only thing holding me back, was the coordination. 

Station 6: Cardio
Side Burpees
Standing Mountain Climbers

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/79/83/fc/7983fc330ca1cfc4ca236f94bc5ef892.jpgSide Burpees - no explanation - only tears. No one likes these.. but we all love them...
Am I right?

http://www.fitbie.com/sites/default/files/standing-mountain-climber-a-ex.jpgStanding Mountain Climbers suck butt, they are hard, your body doesn't want to do them, and I did 4 sets of them... and let me tell you.. I had to close my eyes again and just breathe through it. I don't care how I looked. I don't care about my facial contortions.. What I care about is that I gave this my all, even though every thing in my mind said STOP STOP STOP. 

Station 7: Pool Tubing
Get Ups
Canoe Row

http://files.cdn.ecowatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/pvc-pipe-001.jpgIf you remember, a few weeks back our instructor brought these bad boys in, filled them with sand (2 were 40 lbs and 2 were 20 lbs) The drawback is that you have to keep them level, or the sand weighs you down. I did not make it to this station, and I contemplated doing it after class... risk being late for work.. just because.. I really want to CONQUER this activity. 
http://getplantfit.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Justin-get-up-sit-up.jpg 
We did 1/2 gets up the first time with this Tubes.. this time, we used two arms.. It seemed the majority of the class liked this better, and there were better results. It's probably easier to keep the sand level... I'll never know **SIGHS** I'm feeling regret... Next time.. NEXT TIME!

http://www.bodyresults.com/_iexer/kayakdowel.jpgThe canoe row looked interesting, in this exercise you want the sand to come to ONE side of the tube, so you can propel it to the other side.. like you are rowing a canoe. I yearned to do this. Canoeing is something that I used to LOVE. I did it one entire summer... when I was a teen. And it was... JUST AMAZING. But, add weight to it? Sounds like a plan to me! 


That was the class, and the cool down was once again rushed... but, I think the drive in to work cools me down pretty good too. I'll probably stretch more later. 

Today is the last day of the Bod4God Work Challenge. I got to say I'm relieved.. not because I didn't enjoy the program... But, the personal dynamics were starting to get to me, and if you're going to do something, you shouldn't feel uncomfortable the entire time! 

I am going to find something else to keep me accountable during the week...
I saw a blog link up called Weigh In Wednesdays... And, I think I may join that.. Does anyone else do this? Anyone know where the Link Up starts from? Help a sister out.

Thursday Exercise FUELING me to Friday Rest Day!

Be awesome. Be Active. Be You!

ENJOY THIS DAY


4 comments:

  1. UM SIDE BURPEE??? Ok trying some of these at home! I'm so jealous of this class!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just reading all this has me exhausted!!! Get it girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing, I had to steal the dumbbell workout idea and do at home. I never liked burpee but I know it's one of the best exercise.

    herweightlossdiary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really wish I had ropes at my gym!! Looks like a great workout!

    ReplyDelete