People Just as Crazy as Me

Thursday, July 10, 2014

On Thursdays, We Tabata!

IT IS THAT TIME AGAIN! A RECAP OF MY FAVORITE NEW CLASS! 
TA-BA-TA! 
 
  http://cdn.themetapicture.com/media/funny-gif-playing-gym-ball.gif
 
It seems that I have made Tabata a habit.. not just a habit.. it's kind of a love affair.
I keep going back to see what we're doing! And it makes me just.. SO STINKING EXCITED.
 
All levels of Fitness Geek go to this class, and I love how we all inspire each other to keep going!
 
 Once again Tabta is a HIIT class (High Intensity Interval Training). Participants go through 7 different stations, 2 exercises per station. Each exercise is 20 seconds long, with 10 second breaks. Each station gets 4 repetitions of the 2 exercises. It's about 4 minutes for each station, and then you get a 2 minute break between stations.

STATION 1: Ropes
Chest Fly
Torso Slam

http://blondeponytail.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/028.jpgThe chest fly is intense. You use your legs and you squat down while you arms are open, and then you slam the ropes toward your midline and kind of stand up. You do this fast and repeat it as fast as possible. It is not easy... IT IS FUN... But, oh man, I can't even put my chin to my chest, close my eyes and try to bull through it. John won't let me "Jillian, OPEN YOUR EYES, PICK UP YOUR CHIN, BE HERE! BE IN THE MOMENT DO IT!" I love you John, but, stop catching me when I'm trying to be weak.

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2008/0531/20080531__20080602_C01_FE02FTROPE~p1.JPGThe Torso Slam made up for it. Two Ropes, Held side by side, TWIST, and slam them DOWN. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezey. And Gratifying too. Just keep pretending that you are SLAMMING down something heavy on someone/something you hate... It feels AMAZEBALLS!
 
 
STATION 2: Medicine Ball
Up and Over
Ball Slam
 
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_cLbr1ziwRS4/Saw9NP_PDGI/AAAAAAAAA5s/12MiqIIFlko/s320/MB+Chop.jpg We have never done a Medicine Ball station before. And I was so oober excited! The up and over. The exercise basically was Lunge to one side, and bring the ball to the floor, Skip to the other side while bring the ball above your head, and then Lunge to the other side, and bring the ball to the floor. I remember watching basketball players do this during practice. I did it with a heavy medicine ball! Super fun! 

http://mahersports.ie/images/med-ball-slam-ben-jones-weight-loss-06072011.jpgThe Ball slam is everything you expect: pick the damn thing up above your head, and slam that fucker to the ground HARD. Harder each time. Do it quick.. Keep doing it. Frustration Releaser.. that's what this exercise is.. I'm sure it builds muscle and tones SOMETHING.. but it just gets rid of your frustration... like that!

STATION 3: TRX
Knee Tuck
Side Plank
 
http://www.livefitwithcaitlin.com/uploads/5/2/6/6/5266575/447074_orig.png TRX was interesting today, knee tucks are something that I do slowly now. I can do them faster, but, if I do them slow and controlled... I can feel the tone, I can feel the burn.. and it feels like heaven. Just saying. 

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/0ezC5UNcyyg/maxresdefault.jpgBut, then TRX kicked it up a notch, and we did side planks! It wasn't that I can't do a side plank. I can and I actually like them more than regular planks. I'm pretty sure my obliques are stronger than the center abdominal muscles HAHA! But, add in suspension? It was as if the TRX was swinging on me. I conquered.. but it was a challenge. I loves me a challenge!
 
 
STATION 4: Ball Station
V-up Pass
Hamstring reverse Crunch
 
http://ourhealthydiet.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Hamstring-Flexion-with-Ball.gifhttp://mommysworkout.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Ball-Pass.gifThe best way to show these exercises is to find GIFS.. and thank god they were online. I couldn't imagine how to explain these to you without sounding BACKWOODS about. Hahahaha. The only modification in the Hamstring Reverse Crunch, is that you are keeping your butt UP and off the floor. But, doing the same motion. I highly recommend both of these. FEEL IT FEEL IT!
 
STATION 5: The Bar
Pull Up Progression
Spiderman Pushup
 
http://eatwatchrun.com/wp-content/uploads/Jumping-Pullup.pngI think John is keeping the pull up progression around until I can actually do one. And that's just amazing. I have been practicing, and doing the weight training exercises that will tone all the muscles associated with a pull up. I'm getting there.. slowly.. Even Emry's play set modification is starting to help! 
 
http://fitzala.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Spiderman-Pushup.gifSpiderman pushup. See the Gif... It is silly.. but it hurts.. and I am realizing, that I am doing so many more push ups than I ever have before.. it's like on the regular. To do the point where I want to just see how many regular ones I can do now... Like REAL PUSHUPS.. no GIRLY ONES! Huzzah!
 
 
 
STATION 6: Bench
Sit down, Stand up (Ultimate Squat)
Step ups w/ Pull over and Knee raise
 
http://cdn.vogue.com.au/media/article-steps/2/7/3/0/27399-1_asl.jpg? With the exercise stepper, with two rises underneath it, we were made to sit down.. ALL THE WAY DOWN.. and then stand up, without using our hands. He called it the ultimate squat. I called it, AWESOME. It was another one of those times that towards the end, I wanted to put my chin to my chest and close my eyes. He didn't let me again, THAT JOHN, What a guy! Sweat was pouring everywhere by this point.. OH MAN OH MAN.

http://0.tqn.com/d/exercise/1/0/-/G/1/ottstep.jpgAnd the Step up + Pull over w/ Knee Raise: See below picture, only when the barbell is above your head, bring the knee you stepped off with UP... Basically you are stepping up and then down into a reverse lunge. Tricky Tricky. If you're like me, one side was better at this then the other.
 
 
 
STATION 7:  Mix up
Sled Push
Band squat and row
 
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_TFE7Phkh-2o/THZkAHQ1a1I/AAAAAAAAAA0/KrArwIIU7eU/s400/sled+push.jpg Sled pushes, you know them, you hate them... Well, the way John does them is he takes the rises from the steppers, and stacks them 3 or 4 high, and then places 40lbs of weight in them. These are placed on top of a floor mat, with sliders underneath that. It's a complete CENTER OF GRAVITY thing. Not only do you have to push forward, but downward, so you do not disrupt the equilibrium of the box. I found that it was easier to move from one side of the mat, so instead of stopping, going around the "sled" and pushing it back.. I did a turn with it... and kept going. This oddly enough impressed John.. little did he know, that I was just trying to keep pushing the darn thing. 
http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/videos/hosting/media/fitness/1627130/69468709/lunge-and-row.ff845c53-995d-4069-9ba2-cd3df8eb2765.jpg
Pull band towards you while you are squatting.. stand up release bands.. Rinse and Repeat.. I think I needed a stronger resistant band.. This seemed silly to me.. but, Hey... I was EXHAUSTED by the end!
 
 
 
So that was the workout. From top to bottom. 
It doesn't help that I overdid it on the food front last night.
It makes the sweat ratio with the exercises SO MUCH WORSE.
But, a lovely lady commented on my TWIT post (I love you Trisha), and maybe my body is crying out for more FAT (healthy fat of course!) If you haven't gone over.. check out TWIT THURSDAY and TRICIA'S PAGE. I'm sure you will love her!

What did you do to kick ass and take names today?
Have you decided to become a TWIT with us?


2 comments:

  1. That looks like a great workout and super stress reliever. I would totally take out all my frustration on those ropes and balls when I slammed them down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks awesome! I have GOT to try some of these!

    ReplyDelete