And the Healthier Sloppy Joe's are what we are having for the week. The menfolk can have it on a sandwich thin if they prefer.. but, I made this recipe with SALAD in mind. Yesterday, and today I put my dollop of HSJ's over a kale salad! No dressing needed!
HEALTHIER SLOPPY JOE'S!
- 1 pound Ground Beef (Browned and Drained of Excess Oil)
- Seasoned with garlic powder, salt/pepper, Chile powder, smoked paprika, and a dash of cinnamon.
- 1 – 15.5 oz canned Lentil (or prepared dry lentils)
- 1 bag shredded carrots
- 1 large white onion (cut into thin slices)
- 2 large red peppers (cut into thin slices)
- ½ cup Ketchup
- ½ cup BBQ Sauce
- ¼ cup hot sauce
- 2 TBSP Worchestshire sauce
- Brown the ground beef (with above seasonings, or your favorite ones) and drain the excess oil off with a thin strainer. This takes a little time. Remember has the meat cools it will let off a little more oil, SO… Shake it out.. let it sit a couple minutes in the strainer, and then sift it around one more time. You’re keeping the flavor but losing the grease.
- Drain the can of lentils, and rinse well.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in the crock pot, and cook on low for 4-6 hours. Even though the meat is already prepared, you want it to sit, and combine flavors with the veggies and the lentils… Still half way… if you can.
NOTE: I know this isn’t the cleanest recipe, due to the Ketchup, BBQ Sauce and Worchestshire sauce. However, I chose products that are the lowest in sugar possible, and the ones with the LEAST ingredients…. And I try to make sure that all of the ingredients are easily pronounced.
CHICKEN TANDOORI KEBABS
- 1 pound Chicken Breast, cut into small, square’ish chunks
- 1 large Poblano Pepper
- 1 large Green Bell Pepper
- 1 Large Red Bell Pepper
- 4 ounces Plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 TBSP Lime Juice
- 2 TBSP Lemon Juice
- 3 Tablespoons Minced Garlic
- 1 TBSP Green Curry Paste
- SEASONINGS: Tumeric, Yellow Curry, All Spice, Nutmeg, Cardamom, Garam Masala, Dried Basil, Chipotle Chili Pepper
- Combine the Greek Yogurt, Lime Juice, Lemon Juice, Minced Garlic, Curry Paste and Dry Seasoning in a bowl, and stir until combined.
- Add Raw chicken into the yogurt “Marinade”, and leave it in your refridgerator. The longer you leave it… the more flavorful the chicken will be. I did mine overnight, but 2 – 3 hours would work good too.
- Cut up the peppers into square’ish pieces, and thread them on to skewers with the marinated chicken.Grill it, Broil it, bake it… Cook it with your preferred method, and Enjoy.
- REMEMBER CHICKEN IS COOKED PROPERLY AT 165 degrees.
- ALSO REMEMBER THAT THE CHICKEN WILL CONTINUE TO COOK ONCE YOU TAKE IT OUT OF/OFF OF your cooking method. I usually let me chicken get to a temperature of !50-155 degrees, and I know it will finish off cooking during plating and serving
Just that easy! Enjoy!
What do you think?
Is there any way you would make the Sloppy Joe's Healthier? Maybe Ground Turkey/Chicken?
Mind you, I had one package of ground beef left in the freezer... and it had to get used before we bought any NEW meat. HAHAHA! It was a necessity to use it!
Do you like Indian Food? Tandoori Kebabs up your alley? Let me know!