People Just as Crazy as Me

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

So it BEGINS! - Does anyone remember Carl?

Last year, for some reason, Emry was in RARE form and I was FORCED to go out and purchase an Elf on the Shelf. But, the thing is - -- the mass produced EotS is kind of cute, and cuddly. I didn't think cute and cuddly would have an effect on my son, so I went shopping for the creepiest elf that has ever been created.

Enter Carl McBungles - EBP (Elf Behavioral Partner)

Overall, it worked - The intended purpose was to curb bad behavior, and that happened. Done deal.

Up until 2 weeks ago, I didn't think that Carl was going to have to visit this year. I was in my glory about it. THEN, bam - Parent Teacher Conference hit. Even though I am told that Emry is very smart, reads at a 4th grade reading level, has a real great knowledge of numbers and science. His report card did not reflect that, and that is because a lack of focus, and that he is bored. Common Core holds back some, and helps others. SO, we have to do some extra work to get him into the rhythm of the way they want it done. That means a little extra work on the weekends. 4 worksheets - 2 math, 2 writing. I give him 2 on Saturday and then 2 on Sunday. This takes a total of an hour out of each day. No big deal. Well, for Emry, it is. He can read a math problem and give you an answer. Without showing the work. But, with Common Core - you have to show the work. You have to show how you got the information to show the work. It was to be done just so, or it isn't correct. With writing - he can tell you basic facts. He is very exact, and doesn't want to give a drawn out explanation in writing. With common core - once again - it needs to be drawn out. **SIGHS**

This all came to a head - on Sunday - when Emry had his meltdown. And we decided, that Carl would have to make an appearance this season. And only because, I need something to use as leverage. I can't deal with fights like that, every weekend. It's not good for ANY OF US.

Also: Blogging Bestie Nadine, and newly found blogging galpal Jana - are doing a super cool Instagram link-up called #inthedrawer. This was supposed to be used with barbies, and I really wanted to join in - so, Nadine said it was cool if I used Carl. SO, now I have 24 prompts as to how/where to hide/arrange Carl! Thanks ladies!!!

Dual purpose? Yes!
At my son's expense? Double Yes!

It all started yesterday evening, after Emry went to bed, I hid Carl, and laid out the NNB.




NNB stands for - Notice of Naughty Behavior.




I can't wait to hear how Emry took it!
I'm waiting for Klay to call me.
I am patiently (read: not patiently at all) waiting.

SO: Are you going to join in with the #inthedrawer?
Do you do the Elf on the Shelf in your home?

Happy Tuesday!


4 comments:

  1. If creepiest elf was the look you were going for...you totally achieved it! That dude would scare me in to doing anything it asked! haha! Hopefully he will put E on the straight line to success!

    I am so glad that you decided to join us! Thanks for giving us and our link up a shout out. I really want lots of people to join in because it is so fun to look for the pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG that is hilarious!! I think it's so funny that you knew the cuddly one wouldn't do you any good and that scary one would put me into shape real good!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha! Yes, the elf is kinda scary but at least he is smiling. I remember going through the same thing in 2nd grade. I was bored so I stopped doing my work and even having a lack of focus. I was never so smart that I could do math homework without showing work. Then again, at that age I was doing addition, subtraction, multiplication, division so there was no work to be shown. Well, maybe on division and then we had to show it. Enter algebra. E'rrthing has to be shown in that. Yuck. Maybe he needs some accelerated classes to keep him from being bored?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! I love it! I am not a fan of the Elf on the Shelf but Carl is a keeper. Hope it helps with Emry.

    ReplyDelete