People Just as Crazy as Me

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

#endfoodshamingin2015

Okay I have been talking about this for a while. It's this idea I had - no more food hating in 2015. No more food hatred PERIOD.
 
I think for most of us, we do not hate (or shame) others about what they are eating. I think that we hate or shame ourselves. 
 
For instance, you have two meals in front of you:
  • Salad with Grilled Chicken and dressing on the side
  • Queso Chili Sauce over French Fries 
 Most of us will talk about how delicious both were, however - both of them will result in the following (or similar sentences):

"I had this delicious and HEALTHY salad topped with grilled chicken. They gave me the dressing on the side so I could make sure that I wasn't adding any unnecessary calories."

or

"I was so BADDDDD yesterday, I had these Fries that had Queso Chili sauce smothered all over them. So unhealthy, so worth it - don't judge!"

Both of these meals are shaming in different ways. One is shaming because it is truly a healthy meal, and the dressing could ruin that, even though may add extra and yummy flavor. The other is shaming basically due to nutritional deficiencies.

If both were great - why add any extra words that take away from the amazing meal?

In my mind - I don't think any one should do that anymore. If we say these things to ourselves, we may start saying them around others, who will then look at what they are eating as wrong. It becomes a bunch of people afraid to truly admit that they LOVE what they are eating.

At work - there is a couple women - who when they are seen anything other than a salad - or ordered take out - will say "I had a really rough day. I need this."

NO explanations are necessary. You are nourishing your body. Whether you are eating pizza or nachos or tofu or lentils - You are feeding yourself.

Now, don't get me wrong - Overeating is a problem. Too much of ANYTHING is a bad thing. Obesity is a National Problem, as well. I am not trying to diminish the importance of these two issues!

But, what I am trying to bring to light is the age old saying:
"You are what you eat"

This is so far from true. This is allowing us to associate food with worth, more importantly our self-worth.

I had a burger today - I am an awful person
I am not eating clean 100% - I am an awful person
I wish I was like so and so, she eats SO healthy - I am an awful person
If I ate like her, I would look like her - I hate myself.

THIS IS WRONG!
And a lot of people do this everyday.

So, this year, I began the #endfoodshamingin2015 movement! I use this hashtag in any of my Instagram posts that are associated with food. I also will begin to use my new BUTTON (See below or on the sidebar of my blog) in future food or recipe related posts.

I used to be one of those bloggers that would give you the nutritional information for each recipe. I will not do that anymore - that is perpetuating this problem.

Hello, My name is Jillian Kateri (you can call me Kat) and I was a self food shamer.  If I ate anything other than the meals I prepared at home, or when I did over indulge on the rare occasion - I would kick myself for it - I would make myself run CRAZY 7 days a week, without break. It's no wonder that after the wedding, when I took the break, that I went COMPLETELY off the rails. My body was screaming from being over worked. It was crying from being shamed. Now, I see it, I get it. I really truly understand that this life is a JOURNEY, and being healthy is not just a DESTINATION. You can write these things, you can say them, but until you've been on one side, and then the drastic other side - you can't even comprehend how true it is.

Food is not the problem. My mindset was.
I will eat as best as I can - as often as I can.
I will eat take out -
I will make my own meals.
I will eat cheese and gravy and hot sauce and butter
But, I will also eat veggies, quinoa, coconut oil and even tofu!

I WILL ALSO EXERCISE, FOR THE ONLY REASON AS TO TAKE CARE OF MY BODY. I WILL TRAIN FOR THIS HALF MARATHON - USING THE TRAINING SCHEDULE AND ADHERING TO IT. I WILL LOVE MYSELF INSIDE AND OUT FOR MY STRENGTHS - I WILL NOT DWELL ON MY WEAKNESSES - I WILL TRY TO TURN THEM AROUND.

I urge you all to do the same!!! Join me with this. Whether you are a food shamer in recovery or just want to help spread the message.

My hope is that every month, I will go to Instagram and search my hashtag - and FIND so many other people helping this movement grow!

Here's the button! Add it into your posts - or if you happen to take a picture of something YUMGASMIC use the hashtag #endfoodshamingin2015
 
 
Just Life: Take Two


HAVE A WONDERFUL TUESDAY FRIENDS!

4 comments:

  1. Yes girl! Food shaming is a real problem and we all do it to some extent. Sometimes I feel real down about it because I indulge in a really good meal and a beer and have fun while I am out...then for three days I fuss about it every time I look in the mirror and know I am just going to do it again the next weekend. Sigh.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this so, so much!

    I definitely mess up my brain with this kind of talk about food and I definitely need to stop. It's so unhealthy and the example it sets for my daughter is just terrible. I can't give her a good mindset if I don't embrace one for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think moderation is key, so many times we kill ourselves over every little morself of food and calorie and it takes away the control you have over your decisions. It is such a cycle and it needs to be broken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally love this! I agree 100%. It's a hard habit to break though, it takes some real consideration to stop food shaming.

    ReplyDelete